Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New Itinerary for May 24 - June 7th 2023 2023/3/12 17:36
Hello everyone,

It has been awhile since I posted and grateful for those who helped me with my original post in 2021.
Now that Japan has opened up again I'm ironing out the rest of my itinerary. My plane ticket is set and before I start on accommodations I'd like to know if I've missed anything in this overview as well as any feedback or suggestions including the JR pass. I have a strong feeling I will return to Japan again, so what is missing from this trip can be applied to 2024. Ghibli Museum, Hiroshima, hiking Jomon Sogi, and much more.
For now though here is my May 24th - June 7th 2023 list:

Wednesday May 24th
Miami/Toronto/Narita Airport

+Tokyo+

Thursday May 25th
-Arrive at Narita airport around 3pm
-Advised to use Narita Express
-Looking into Ueno/Asakusa/Ikebukuro for accommodations

Friday May 26th
-Spend the day around Asakusa
-Hamarikyu Gardens

Saturday May 27th
-Start in the morning with Mount Nokogiri
-Afternoon flexible

Sunday May 28th
-Base my day around being near the Sumo Stadium IF I can secure tickets online for the Sumo tournament that is supposed to take place on this day. Tickets on sale April 8th.

Monday May 29th
-Day trip to Nikko
-Edo Wonderland
-Bike Tour

Tuesday May 30th
-Day trip to Okutama
-Canyoning
-Afternoon flexible

+Kyoto+

Wednesday May 31rst
-Check out of hotel in Tokyo, arrive in Kyoto, check into new hotel (Any suggestions?)
-Flexible Day

Thursday June 1rst
-A mixture of things that is set, includes walking, temples, and exploring

Friday June 2nd
-A mixture of things that is set, includes cycling and walking

Saturday June 3rd
-Day trip to Nara also check out of hotel
-Cycle to Horyuji
-Afternoon head back to Tokyo, possibly Shinjuku
-Check into pending hotel in Shinjuku

+Tokyo+

Sunday June 4th
-Akihabara
-Nakano Broadway

Monday June 5th
-Shinjuku exploration and a little shopping

Tuesday June 6th
-Open!

Wednesday June 7th
-Check out of pending hotel
-Return home

by isaias4  

Re: New Itinerary for May 24 - June 7th 2023 2023/3/12 19:08
Itfs a simple bit effective itinerary with only 3 hotels in 2 cities. (And I get it that you want to be back in Tokyo at least a day before departure.)

It allows for flexibility with your daytrips to react to weather.

Regarding Sumo you choose the worse possible day. Sunday and per your words the first day. Itfs highly unlikely that youfll be able to get tickets. Try during the week and your chances improve a lot.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: New Itinerary for May 24 - June 7th 2023 2023/3/12 19:50

To me it looks like youfve got some days that are really busy (doesnft anyone get that impression?), and others quite relaxed, which by itself is no problem, but to cut down on traveling time on some days, maybe you could:

- On arrival, go to stay around Chiba station instead of traveling into Tokyo, and do the Mount Nokogiri on the second day from Chiba - trying to go from Asakusa or any other Tokyo location to Mt. Nokogiri (you really mean the one in Chiba prefecture, right?) and finish up in the morning sounds too ambitious (because you say gafternoon flexibleh).

- Nikko: going to Nikko (for the main, shrine and lake area), doing the Edo Wonderland, together with a bike tour, then getting back to Tokyo in one day again sounds very ambitious.

- i thought it would be far simpler if you could move the Nara day trip from Kyoto to a day where you end the day in Kyoto, but as you say you have things gseth for other days in Kyotoc

For sumo tickets, I believe there is a reliable booking service you could consider.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: New Itinerary for May 24 - June 7th 2023 2023/3/13 11:56
AK

Thanks so much! I keep learning new things and I have rearranged some parts. I took out Nikko after giving it heavy thought. Probably better for another trip and more enjoyable with a friend as I am traveling solo for this trip. I added a day for Kyoto. And sorry for any misunderstanding with it being set, I had seen a site that helped with a very nice itinerary for Kyoto but didn't describe every part in detail. By adding an additional day I can enjoy It more without rushing.

LikeBike

Hi LikeBike, cycling in Nara and into Horyuji is something you suggested in my original post back then and have referenced your blogs to see what I can include. Thanks for that suggestion!

I can imagine the Sumo tickets will be tough, and if somehow I can't get them I will find a way to do something else.
by isaias4 rate this post as useful

Re: New Itinerary for May 24 - June 7th 2023 2023/3/13 12:00
Updated Itinerary! Still open for anything else.

Wednesday May 24th
Miami/Toronto/Narita Airport

+Chiba+

Thursday May 25th
-Arrive at Narita airport around 3pm
-Advised to use Narita Express
-Look for a hotel around Chiba Station

Friday May 26th
-Start in the morning with Mount Nokogiri
-Explore Chiba

Saturday May 27th
-Spend the day around Asakusa
-Hamarikyu Gardens

Sunday May 28th
-Base my day around being near the Sumo Stadium IF I can secure tickets online for the Sumo tournament that is supposed to take place on this day. Tickets on sale April 8th. Need a plan B if I cannot get tickets

Monday May 29th
-Day trip to Okutama
-Canyoning
-Afternoon flexible

+Kyoto+

Tuesday May 30th
-Check out of hotel in Chiba, arrive in Kyoto, check into new hotel (Any suggestions?)
-Flexible Day

Wednesday May 31rst
-Kyoto exploration

Thursday June 1rst
-Kyoto exploration

Friday June 2nd
-Day trip to Nara
-Cycle to Horyuji
-Return to Kyoto

Saturday June 3rd
-Check out of hotel
-Finish up with Kyoto
-Afternoon head to Tokyo, possibly Shinjuku
-Check into pending hotel in Shinjuku

+Tokyo+

Sunday June 4th
-Akihabara
-Nakano Broadway

Monday June 5th
-Shinjuku exploration and a little shopping

Tuesday June 6th
-Open for suggestions

Wednesday June 7th
-Check out of pending hotel
-Return home
by isaias4 rate this post as useful

Re: New Itinerary for May 24 - June 7th 2023 2023/3/13 21:50
- From Narita to Chiba, you might not even need Narita Express (some Narita Express during the day stop at Chiba, others might not).

- After youfve visited Mt. Nokogiri, actually to explore Asakusa and other parts of Tokyo, I would change hotels to one in Tokyo
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: New Itinerary for May 24 - June 7th 2023 2023/3/13 23:05
Are you going to stay all your time in Tokyo in Chiba? Thatfs a peculiar choice. If itfs because of a cheap hotel there, I would reconsider. It just adds up in travel time.

Regarding the sumo day, any chance to keep flexibility and di sumo on Monday and kayaking on the Sunday instead? Just increases your chances to get tickets.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: New Itinerary for May 24 - June 7th 2023 2023/3/14 07:14
May 27: Beside mount nokogiri,chiba i will recommend you to visit arinomi athletic park
Takenouchikaju orchards,omachi kominkan
JR Ichikawa ono station, Cost adult:1000 yen
6+ years = 800 yen
3+ years = 500 yen
by Deb (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread