Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

SIM Card vs Pocket Wifi vs Data Plan 2023/3/27 22:19
Hi all!
I'm trying to figure out which method would work best for us.

My husband and I are going to Japan in November 2023 for 2 weeks. We plan on staying the night in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Kinosaki-onsen, Takayama, Kanazawa, and Sendai. We have AT&T service (Google Pixel 5a phone) and he thinks we can use the hotel wifi and the AT&T international mobile service when necessary once we leave the hotel. I had a great experience using pocket wifi before but the downside is an extra device to carry. I've never attempted the SIM card method.

Cost wise it seems to be around the same price.

We plan on using our phone to do video calls with our kids here in the states and for internet usage while out (Public transportation schedules, translations, social media, uploading photos) .

Has anyone here used their phone providers international mobile data and how did that turn out? Pro's? Con's?

Thanks!
by Florin529 (guest)  

Re: SIM Card vs Pocket Wifi vs Data Plan 2023/4/3 12:09
I'm going to Japan in May. I plan to use Airalo, worldwide eSIM provider:
https://www.airalo.com/

Read up on it on their website and download their app if interested. That will provide data when you're not in your hotel.

Use LINE app or WhatsApp to call home. They're free.

Remember to bring battery packs though as you will be running your phone battery pretty hard using your phone for looking up everything when you're out.

by yoshihome (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: SIM Card vs Pocket Wifi vs Data Plan 2023/4/3 13:49
I've rented portable wifi devices in Japan before and also got a sim card as well during a different trip. If you're not planning on making phone calls (meaning only calls using data like from LINE, whatsapp etc.) then you should be just fine with a data-only device that you can rent. You can also just get a sim card with data only for Japan that you can buy online. Just look around.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread