Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Clothing 2023/5/9 17:42
Hi,

This might be a weird question but how are the clothing sizes in Japan. I'm a UK 14 with a reasonable chest size, would i be able to find clothing in japan in my size?

I'm thinking about not taking many clothings on my trip to Japan and buying clothing whilst i'm there but weird i won't be able to find clothing in my size.
by MeganM  

Re: Clothing 2023/5/9 19:53
I think it could be a bit challenging. Not impossible but I wonder why you want to spend time on your vacation needing to go shopping instead of actually sightseeing. Just seems to add an additional level of stress to a trip.
You can pack light and wash in between (many hotels will have washing machines) or pack a bigger suitcase and have a small bag and ship the bigger luggage to your next hotel by TaQBin and just bring a small bag with 1 day worth of clothes with you. If luggage size is your concern.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing 2023/5/9 23:01
I fully understand that you'd want to shop your daily outfit while touring, because I am that person.

That said, women's clothing sold in Japan is generally around Japanese size 9 or 7 which is the equivalent to UK size 8 or 10.

Of course, it's always possible to buy bulky clothes such as big T-shirts up to UK size 16, but don't count on buying fancy dresses your size. Be prepared, and consider yourself lucky if you encounter nice-looking clothes in UK size 14. And if you happen to be touring with other people, you may not have the opportunity to shop.

For the record, I'm a light-traveler who packs thin layers of clothing. And if I happen to buy something nice, I check my laundry bag in at the airport. I don't want to waste time washing clothes during my tour.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing 2023/5/10 01:01
I'm just going to throw out there, that Japanese clothes also tend to be smaller in the chest area in particular. Even when I was thinner pre-kid, I had a hard time finding a lot of clothes in Japan because I was a little too well endowed.

Generally Uniqlo has the most options that fit foreigners. I've even gotten a few things in Uniqlo that still fit me and I am much larger now.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing 2023/5/10 13:31
For clothing sizes in Japan as others have mentioned, they definitely run smaller compared to western sizes. Keep in mind as well, you'll probably end up paying more money as well just for shopping for the same items that you might be able to get in your country.

I have been shopping for clothes for my size, being a bit bigger than most Japanese and most of the items for basic shirts and pants were anything from 5000 yen to 10000 yen. That's quite pricey compared to stores back home where you can get things for half that cost as lots of stuff is imported here in Japan. Just food for thought so you don't pay a fortune for clothes instead of just bringing your own.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing 2023/5/10 15:38

I (Japanese woman) used to live in the UK when i was around 30-year-old, when my clothing size in Japan used to be 11, and I used to wear UK size 10 or 12. BUT at times I was told gum, this jacket is designed for c more endowed womenh for example.

So if you are UK size 14 with greasonableh chest size, Ifd say Japan size 13 should be OK, but otherwise you might need size 15. And here gplush size range starts with 13.

Also, T-shirts and blouses tend to be simply shorter in Japan. I used to find the UK (and also American) T-shirts simply too long at times (it would cover my whole butt).

Soc enjoying shopping is an idea, but bring enough so that you donft have to spend gtoo muchh time shopping around for clothing.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing 2023/5/10 17:12
I am EU 40-42 (12-14 US), 170 tall, and never found a pair of trousers what fits me... Even when some years ago there was "one size" trousers in style, still too small :(
However blouses, shirts, jackets and dresses are fine (I'm not too busty). Shoes - nothing.
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing 2023/5/10 19:29
I'm not much of a shopper, so if I was planning to shop my wardrobe for a trip I'd be inclined to do it from one place on about day one; if you've not been to Japan before don't underestimate the sheer overwhelm of choice, brands, and seemingly limitless corners to go around to see one more thing. And that's before wrangling the sizes. If that sounds like fun, by all means; but if it doesn't, have a skeleton wardrobe to carry you through.

I wear an Australian 8-10, am a little short and busty for my size. My bra size is EU 10E, which I have not ever found in Japan, and which isn't always easy to find here either! Generally I seem to be a medium in Japan, and the lengths are good for me-it's nice to buy pants that don't need a load cut off the bottom. I like my clothes to fit ie not too much extra fabric around-if you want a bit more wriggle room you may need to go up a size.I've never bought a top that buttons up-I could see that being a problem-but sweaters and tshirts seem fine.

I find Muji reliable and fairly priced. Uniqlo is very common in Australia but since we don't have Muji where I live, Muji is my choice if I need something in Japan.

The other brand I like, which I have bought here but not in Japan, is Cos. They are a pricepoint above Muji but very nice quality. They have shops in Tokyo and Yokohama only as far as I can see.

Have a great time in Japan!

by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing 2023/5/11 00:06
I also like COS, but COS is the ghigh end g brand of H&M. I wouldnft spend my holidays in Japan shopping for this. Uniqlo maybe makes sense to shop in Japan, but otherwise what would make sense is normal Japanese stores, but as said Ifd be worried about not finding enough there.

Re: Clothing 2023/5/11 13:53
I agree with that, LikeBike. If I was buying clothes In Japan on holidays, I'd go somewhere reliable and quick, and where I'd likely find something to fit. Hence, Uniqlo, Muji, Cos.

Do you have other brands or chains in mind?
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing 2023/5/11 15:51
@Who, no,I donft have other brands in mind. But thatfs the point. Why loosing time in Japan shopping for clothes at shops that you could use in your home country or that anyway donft have very special clothes. So Ifd bring the basics. Maybe leave a bit of space in the suitcase IF (!) you find something nice on your trip but not rely on it.

reply to this thread