Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Bringing tax free products from Japan 2023/5/12 21:22
I'm currently in Osaka and confused about the tax free shopping system.

I bought quite a lot of clothes at the GU store, then used some of them, on a tax free system but using ordinary paper bags

I then bought quite a lot of snacks and other things at Don Quijote with a tax free system too where all the things I bought are wrapped in special plastic that has adhesive, but I had to open them because I needed to use some pain relief plasters and sun cream

From what I read on the internet, I have to report those purchases to Customs at the airport. Does that mean I have to show all the things I bought in Japan with tax free system along with the receipt?
by martin (guest)  

Re: Bringing tax free products from Japan 2023/5/13 05:30
Those receipts used to be stapled to your passport if I recall correctly. Last time I left Japan, which was about a month ago, you scanned the passport yourself and they don't stamp the passport on the way out any longer.
by , (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing tax free products from Japan 2023/5/13 13:16
Only consumables (like food, medication & cosmetics), purchased tax-free, are prohibited from being used while in Japan. Clothing purchased in Japan, tax-free, can be worn in Japan. Other non-consumables (electronics, for instance) can also be used. Non-consumables will not be sealed upon purchase.

So, technically, you should not have opened the sealed package of skin care products or medications.

However, in practice, customs will not be checking purchases or packages when you depart Japan, nor will they be checking receipts. I guess maybe that they could, in theory. I don't know. When we departed NRT last month, there was an official who just scanned our passports, since we had tax-free purchases on our trip. But that was all they did.
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing tax free products from Japan 2023/5/13 14:32
please show the evidence where the tax authority of Japan has mentioned.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing tax free products from Japan 2023/5/13 16:55
As far as I understand it, all duty-free items are supposed to be taken out of Japan un-opened and un-used. That is the rationale of duty-free shopping – you get exempted from paying the local consumption taxes in Japan because the merchandise are to be used only outside Japan. Otherwise visitors can buy on behalf of locals and the locals get away with not paying the taxes. It is just that the consumables are handed to the buyers packaged/sealed in a way so as to ensure that they are not used in Japan (because otherwise it renders too easily to local consumption).

When it comes to the actual inspection, however, Japan doesnft really check that the merchandise you are taking out match those on the paper stapled to the passport, which is different from some other countries (I have been to some countries where I was required to show exactly what it was I purchased duty-free).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing tax free products from Japan 2023/5/14 04:53

Re: Bringing tax free products from Japan 2023/5/14 05:05

reply to this thread