Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Mt Fuji from Asakusa Station using shinkasen 2023/6/11 07:22
Hi, We are Sr Citizen couple and staying at ASAKUSA Station in second week of July.

We wish to visit Mt Fuji at our own and also like to explore Gandola( Ropeway) and Boat in one of its lake.

Experts are requested to let us know how to reach Mt Fuji from Asakusa station, explore all the or major lake and take a ride of ropeway and boat.

Thanks a lot
by P K Gupta (guest)  

Re: Mt Fuji from Asakusa Station using shinkasen 2023/6/11 08:34
First up, you are not looking at exploring Fuji, but Hakone.
Second, Shinkansen may not be the best transport option as it is more expensive than some other options. Essentially, Asakusa to Shinagawa using the Toei Asakusa Line (changes to Keikyu main line). Shinkansen to Odawara and you can get the Hakone pass there if you want to use it Then Odawara to Hakone-Yumoto.
You have some choices regarding bus to the lake, train up to Gora and other routes around the area.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Mt Fuji from Asakusa Station using shinkasen 2023/6/11 17:38

If you want to go to Hakone (you might be able to see Mt. Fuji, though not really close), and ride the ropeway, see museums, and take a boat on Lake Ashino-ko, please have a look at:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html

The way to get there using Shinkansen is as the earlier poster mentioned. You go via Shinagawa.
Or, you can get out to Shinjuku, and take the Odakyu Railway train (described above).

We (Tokyo residents) have done both a day trip, and a one-night overnight trip there.

On the other hand, if you want to get closer to Mt. Fuji, you might want to go to Kawaguchi-ko (Lake Kawaguchi). They have a sightseeing boat on the lake, and a far smaller ropeway for fun. About how to get there/around, please have a look at:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6906.html

We have done an overnight trip from Tokyo, and have enjoyed wonderful views of Mt. Fuji, the small ropeway, a boat ride, a bus ride to the adjacent lake, a visit to a few caves, and a visit to a rock/mineral museum.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Mt Fuji from Asakusa Station using shinkasen 2023/6/11 19:55
Btw, if the weather isnft good , eg if it is raining donft go to Kawaguchiko. In Hakone at least there are many other things to do. Not so much in Kawaguchiko. I was there today in the rain and not even Fuji was there. I saw some very disappointed, cold and wet tourists that had booked a bus tour and now needed to do sightseeing in the rain in a place where the main attraction wasnft even there.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Mt Fuji from Asakusa Station using shinkasen 2023/6/11 21:56
I agree with LikeBike about seeing the mountain. Hakone has a lot more to do apart from Mt. Fuji.

I just wanted to mention Kawaguchi-ko lake because the original poster was talking about seeing gall or most of the lakes,h which got me thinking that possibly they were referring to Mt. Fuji & 5 lakes.

Re: Mt Fuji from Asakusa Station using shinkasen 2023/6/14 03:51
Thanks a lot, everyone. We are Sr Citizens hence walking more than 3-4 km or climbing is not possible for us. Being a foreigner the more I read I get more confused. In a nutshell, what do we want?

1. We have only one day for this and wish to enjoy a pleasant journey around the hills/ on the lake &/or Ropeway( GONDOLA).

2. Bit confused between Kawaguchi-ko and Hakone. We would opt where less walking/hiking and an easy to commute from Asakusa ( Tokyo).

3. Clear guidance about 2-3 things to do after arrival at either of station.

4. we may use a limited express train for one side and Shinkasen for the other side just to experience japans Bullet trains at minimum expenses.

Thanks a lot
by P K Gupta (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mt Fuji from Asakusa Station using shinkasen 2023/6/14 11:11
Please read those sections, and see which one interests you more. We cannot help you with gwhat do we want?h question, only you know what you want :)

Hakone:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html
gHakone Round Courseh is something you can do as a day trip, if you start early.

Mt. Fuji area (please read gLake Kawaguchikoh section, number 4, in this list):
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6900.html
Lake Kawaguchi-ko (among the Five Lakes):
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6906.html

Re: Mt Fuji from Asakusa Station using shinkasen 2023/6/14 11:56
I just noticed your comment 4.

If you want to experience Shinkansen, then it should be Hakone – there is no Shinkansen that gets you to Kawaguchi-ko area.

If you want to keep your cost down, for one way you take Odakyu Railway train between Shinjuku and Hakone (you can pay extra to get the Limited Express gRomance Car,h or take a local train), for the other way you use JR Shinkansen train between JR Odawara station and Tokyo (or Shinagawa). Please read the above link for information about ghow to get to/get around Hakone.

reply to this thread