Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

JR Pass 2023/6/25 23:54
Hi, I'm looking to get the JR Pass (14 day) for a trip beginning in mid-October. I see the pass will increase dramatically then but I can still get before September 28 to lock in the current fare. If I calculate my train prices (if bought separately), it's less than the current pass price and considering that I would have to opt for the Hikari instead of the Nizomi to use the pass, I am thinking the pass might not benefit me. The big question concerns the new train rates. While the JR pass will increase by +65%, has it been established that individual JR fares will also increase as much?
As a side question, if I get the JR pass, I guess that I have to validate it at Kansai airport upon arrival to use it to get into Osaka. Since I don't arrive until 21:00, would I have enough time to do this or should I just buy a ticket and validate my pass when I'm ready to use it 2 days later.
Thanks!
by Joe (guest)  

Re: JR Pass 2023/6/26 01:25
Post october JR pass benefit:
By JR nationwide pass,You can travel nozomi and mizuho train with minimal extra cost.

Current JR pass include some non JR train, but post october JR pass,you can use more non JR train than current JR pass permitted
by Boris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass 2023/6/26 01:31
Thanks Boris,

I read that the new pass (post Oct) would still not include the nozomi and mizuho train so this is new information for me. Thanks
by Joe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass 2023/6/26 02:04
You can exchange your JR pass voucher at Osaka station or Shin-Osaka too, no need to do it on arrival. When getting your pass, you can specify on which day you want to activate it.

No idea if the train fares will increase in October, but certainly not as much as the JR pass, since that would also affect the local population. For me, the passes are also a matter of convenience: you don't need to plan your trains in advance, or queue to buy tickets for each of your trips. Of course, it depends on the price difference.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass 2023/6/26 07:55
While the JRP will have its first increase in well over a decade, regular fares are not scheduled to increase at the same time.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass 2023/6/26 08:04
You are saying the pass will not pay off per your calculations. So that should really be the end of this thought process. It doesnft pay off ( even at the current price) , so donft get it.
As PP said the individual tickets will not increase in any similar way. Maybe a bit, we donft know but nothing has yet been announced. (And frankly 1/Oct would be a strange date. Ifd more expect for prices to increase 1/Apr).
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread