Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Kyoto - Nara train 2023/6/30 23:26
Hello.

I am going to Japan in a few days (beginning of July), and I am planning on staying in Kyoto for a few nights. I would like to visit Nara from Kyoto.

I was wondering, can you be a bit spontaneous, and can you go to Nara by train without a seat reservation?

Thank you.
by rainySeasonLover (guest)  

Re: Kyoto - Nara train 2023/7/1 04:57
Most trains between Kyoto and Nara do not allow for seat reservations. Only the Kintetsu limited express trains require them, but they rarely sell out.

The basics:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4107.html?aFROM=2158_2165
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto - Nara train 2023/7/1 06:03
I would add to try to get the limited express trains because the others take forever
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto - Nara train 2023/7/1 18:28
From JR kyoto to nara=720 yen, 42km, 66min
by Flores (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto - Nara train 2023/7/1 19:12
or 45 mins in the limited express, and I can tell you from experience, those extra 20 minutes feel like 20 hours

Re: Kyoto - Nara train 2023/7/2 07:19
The express is the better option - 45 minutes and the same price. Out of the last 100 trips to Nara I might have done the local three times, and once only because it was freezing cold and the train was warm and saved waiting.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto - Nara train 2023/7/2 13:43
100 trips to Nara? I am officially envious. We have probably done 6 or 7, time there all up maybe a month, but it is one place that I dont think we would ever tire of.

Re: Kyoto - Nara train 2023/7/2 15:01
@Lazy Pious but it is one place that I dont think we would ever tire of.
I also don't ever get tired of visiting after all those trips. I think I have been five times this year and probably have another four trips there later in the year (at least). There is a lot packed into the place in terms of history, its culture, the usual temples and shrines, but there is a lot more on top of that as well - small things, hidden gems and the people that I meet regularly.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto - Nara train 2023/7/2 16:00
Yeah, I took my mum to Japan several years back, first stop was about 4 nights in Nara (at Nara Hotel), she just loved it there and I think for her (as it does for my wife and I) it outshone Kyoto and was her favorite part of Japan.

Last trip (Feb) we stayed 2 nights at Kotonoyado Musashino at Wakakusayama(sp?), 2 nights at Nara Hotel, and it was just perfect at both, we are planning to do exactly the same next trip.

reply to this thread