Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Christmas/new year 2023/7/5 19:31
Hi
Working on plans for a family trip to Japan either end December (returning to uk on 1/2 Jan) or end March. PlNning 2 weeksc.when would you go? December has several advantages for us personally but Ifm worried lots of things will be closed? And less to see and do? Wefre planning to go to Tokyo/Kyoto/snow monkeys/Fuji and possibly Hiroshima
Thanks!
Claire
by Ck24  

Re: Christmas/new year 2023/7/5 22:28
Welcome to japan in new year.
IN December 2023,JR nationwide pass will be more expensive then Today.so You can buy regional JR pass or one way Ticket.
Good Luck.
by Boris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Christmas/new year 2023/7/5 23:30
Well both are okay times. I personally would chose March because spring is starting and you may even be in time for Hanami or some late plums. But snow monkeys might not have snow anymore. And maybe no monkeys

But end of year isnft that bad either. Colder and bleaker ( well,winter) and yes a good number of places are shut between approx 30 dec and 4/ Jan. Not everything all the time and everywhere. But end March nothing is closed , end Dec some places will be closed. Maybe make a list of absolute must go places and check for them.

Flights might also be more expensive over NY.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Christmas/new year 2023/7/6 04:42
End March is a fantastic time to travel for the reasons mentioned above. Not too crowded, spring coming on, getting a bit warmer but still cool.

Late December is pretty cold, usually not too crowded, christmas lights are pretty, quite a few shut down restaurants and attractions between christmas and new year, days are shorter. Where it has snowed the paths can be slushy and icy which ends up being a nuisance, although the snow itself is pretty. It is a nice time to travel but with some inconveniences.

If you are wanting to visit a bunch of attractions, then March will be better for you but as mentioned you might miss out on the now monkeys floating around in the water with their poo.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Christmas/new year 2023/7/6 11:42
March has gotten a lot more crowded because a lot of tourists want to see sakura and Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka have been starting sakura around the 22nd the last few years.

Both times are crowded and both times are school breaks for kids. Both have higher hotel prices.

I guess it's really what you like in terms of weather? We went in December 2022-January 2023. Yes, things closed and I had to work my itinerary around places that were closing for New Years (Some places close as early as December 27th, it depends on the shop.) But I loved being in Japan then. My first trip during that timer period in '05, I didn't enjoy as much, it really does help to stay in nicer hotels because they will have more open. I also like fukubukuro.

If you leave on 1/1 just expect everything in the train station and airport to be closed. Tokyo Station was a ghost town on 1/1/23 when we headed to Tohoku for a ryokan stay, by 1/2/23 everything was super crowded.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Christmas/new year 2023/7/7 07:35
End of March = crowded. It is cherry blossom season (lots around) and even at 80% of 2019 levels, this year was busy with a ton of tourists. Still, it has the advantages of being warmer and if you are seeking some blossom, that is easy to do.
I did an 11 day trip across New Year 2023 and while some things were closed, that did not stop my guests having a trip filled with interesting experiences, great food and beautiful scenery. We got a nice amount of snow in the mountains, and the trains were not too crowded/busy for the trip. We worked around the closure of some places, but added others. Yes, NY can be a busy time for people locally travelling, and you don't get as much day-light hours, but dressed for the conditions, a nice time to travel.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread