Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Second line of "The Memory Police" 2023/7/8 07:34
Part of the second line of this book is: "あなたが生まれるずっと共、" which I have seen translated as "Long ago, before you were born,". Is this a literal translation, and if not, what would the literal translation be? I know the dictionary definitions of ずっと and 共, but I do not understand how they affect あなたが生まれる.
by HarrieT (guest)  

Re: Second line of ''The Memory Police'' 2023/7/9 00:02
I do not know where it comes from, but just looking at this clause “あなたが生まれるずっと共,”
I have a feeling it should be あなたが生まれるずっと前

Then yes, it means “long before you were born,” so what you have is a correct translation.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Second line of ''The Memory Police'' 2023/7/10 03:51
The line in Yoko Ogawa's novel is "あなたが生まれるずっと昔". It's 昔 (mukashi) instead of 共.

Grammatically, I think it's supposed to be "あなたが生まれるよりもずっと昔" but it's natural enough as a colloquial quote by the protagonist's mother. We kind of commonly say it that way.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Second line of ''The Memory Police'' 2023/7/10 10:19
Uto-san, thank you, i just “guessed” without knowing the original lyrics! :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Second line of ''The Memory Police'' 2023/7/10 15:27
AK-san, you're welcome. Google tells me that "The Memory Police" is not a song but the English title of the Booker Prize nominated novel 密やかな結晶. I noticed that a 試し読み of the first pages are available on-line.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread