Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

From Tokyo to Kamikochi 2023/7/10 14:18
Hi can anyone suggest what is the best way to travel from Tokyo to Kamikochi? It seems there is a bus option directly to Kamikochi starting early morning and reaching Kamikochi around 12.. Another option is to go to Matsumoto by bullet train and take bus from there. will reach more or less same time. I am inclined to take the bus as it is direct provided it is comfortable and regular.
Kindly suggest. Our travel date is 11th Oct this year.

Thanks
by Biswadip (guest)  

Re: From Tokyo to Kamikochi 2023/7/10 20:09
There are several options listed here; https://www.kamikochi.org/plan/access

I imagine that the direct bus is the "no-brainer' option - quick, cheap, simple.

My preference, for the experience, is Gran Class Shinkansen to Nagano, Green class to Matsumoto, local train to Shin-Shimashima, then bus to Kamikochi. A great combination of transport classes and experiences.
by insecteater rate this post as useful

Re: From Tokyo to Kamikochi 2023/7/10 20:15
Bus is easy, cheap and comfortable. They do a couple of stops where you can get food etc. Bus travel in Japan is much nicer than other countries.

There is an overnight option too so you get to Kamikochi early and can do one of the hikes.
by AllThePeaks rate this post as useful

Re: From Tokyo to Kamikochi 2023/7/11 14:20
Thanks all for clarity. I checked the bus link. Looks good though not very cheap. One way to Kamikochi will cost 10000 yen per person. Train-bus option may be cheaper as we shall have JR pass. Let's see.
Thanks again
by Biswadip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Tokyo to Kamikochi 2023/7/11 15:06
You will have the Japan Rail Pass so I think your best bet will go from Shinjuku to Matsumoto by Azusa express train (not Shinkansen)

https://world.jorudan.co.jp/mln/en/?p=0&xpd=1&from=Shinjuku&to=Matsumo...

and then train to Shin-shimashima and bus to Kamikochi. The two transfers at Matsumoto and Shin-shimashima are quite easy since these places are small and not so crowded. It will be much more difficult to reach Shinjuku station or Shinjuku bus terminal.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread