Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/10 14:22
Hi, We are a couple visiting Japan in early Oct, starting from Tokyo.
Itinerary is four nights in Tokyo, one night in Kamikochi and four nights in Kyoto. Requesting your suggestions on few issues.
1. We have a Sunday and a Monday for local sightseeing in Tokyo ( coach trip) and Trip to Mount Fuji. Will it be okay if we schedule the local trip on Sunday? Will tourist places/ shops be open on Sunday? I am not able to find a Mount Fuji trip on Sunday, hence the issue.
2 For Mount Fuji We are planning to take a trip to Kawaguchiko. Day trips are available. Just wondering if we can explore on our own also. we will have the JR pass.But is there any sight seeing bus from station
3 Last, any suggestion on Hiroshima trip from Kyoto? We can reach Hiroshima Station by JR, but coach trips seem to be booked already ( 13th - 15th Oct)
Though we would prefer a coach trip, ( any local company? ) , how do we move around from Station to various spots? Is it simple and straightforward?

Many thanks for any suggestion.

by Biswadip (guest)  

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/10 20:36
Day Trip to mount Fuji:you can buy JR Tokyo wide pass 3 day unlimited ride=10180 yen
by Juhi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/11 09:38
When you say gcoach trip,h do you mean a bus trip, like a guided bus tour? Your preference aside, Tokyo is a place that is easily travel around using local transport on your own. Select (from the gdestinationsh section of this website we are on) what kind of places you are interested in, and you can usually go there with subway or local trains.

1. yes, tourist spots in Tokyo are open on Sundays.

2. Are you taking a bus tour from Tokyo, or are you going on your own? If you have JR pass, that covers you up to Otsuki, from there you pay a small additional amount to get to Kawaguchi-ko (Laka Kawaguchi) station on Fujikyu railway. From there, you can take a local bus around to go on a boat tour on the lake, take a small ropeway, etc.

3. Hiroshima: from the JR HIroshima station, you can take the tram (streetcar) to reach major tourist spots.

Please read:
For TOkyo:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

Lake Kawaguchi:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6906.html

Hiroshima:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2160.html
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/11 12:21
3 Last, any suggestion on Hiroshima trip from Kyoto? We can reach Hiroshima Station by JR, but coach trips seem to be booked already ( 13th - 15th Oct)

If you use Japan Rail Pass, note that it does not cover fastest Nozomi train. You must take Hikari, Kodama or Sakura Shinkansen trains. Unfortunately there are not so many "direct" trains to Hiroshima. If the timetable does not change before your travelling date, Hikari 531 is the only practical option. It starts 7:20 and arrives Hiroshima at 9:04. Local train from Hiroshima to Miyajimaguchi departs at 9:15. Even if you miss this train you don't need to worry: the next train will start at 9:29. Then take JR ferry to Miyajima. Pick a map of the island at the tourist information and walk.

Hiroshima's top two "must see" places are Miyajima (Itsukushima shrine etc.) and thee Peace Park. After seeing Miyajima you can go back the same route (JR ferry and then JR's local train to Hiroshima station) and then take tram to the Peace park. I recommend you to take a ferry from Miyajima to the Peace Park, 45 min, 2200 yen (not covered by the JR Pass).

https://www.aqua-net-h.co.jp/en/heritage/route.html

From the Peace Park, take tram (Hisroshima dentetsu) from Genbaku-Dome-Mae to Hiroshima station.

From Hiroshima to Kyoto there seems to be no direct Hikari in the evening. So you must take the combination of Sakura (Hiroshima to shin-Osaka) and Hikari (Shin-Osaka to Kyoto). One example is:

Hiroshima 17:33-(Sakura 562)-18:59 Shin-Osaka 19:21-(Hikari 664)-19:34 Kyoto.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/11 14:16
Thanks Juhi, AK and Frogq1954 for useful tips. Yes, may be we will skip guided coach trip in Tokyo. I understand travelling in Tokyo is not difficult for a tourist. I was thinking of a coach trip mainly due to value addition or information sharing by the guide which I have seen in some other cities. Let's see.

AK/ others do you know app for Tokyo transport which will guide you from one point to other?

Frog1954, looks like we can cover Hiroshima on our own though I was hoping to use the JR pass. For other trains like Hikari/ others, how to book? Any link?

Last. for Kawaguchi. is there a bus / coach
from the station which will take us to various spots or we have to go on our own? I am told there is a place called Momoji tunnel which is a must-see during Autumn

Thanks again for your kind support
by Biswadip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/11 14:58
For other trains like Hikari/ others, how to book? Any link?

If you buy the Japan Rail Pass online, you can reserve the seats online.

https://japanrailpass.net/en/purchase.html

Sadly I am a Japanese and not eligible for the Japan Rail Pass so that I can not explain how can you book the train, but I believe once you buy the pass online you can follow their instruction to reserve the seats. You will receive actual pass and the ticket after you arrive in Japan, but you can reserve the seat one month ahead of your travel date.

I checked JR Cyberstation

https://www.jr.cyberstation.ne.jp/index_en.html

for the travel from Kyoto to Hiroshima and surprized that on 15th July the Hikari 531 from Kyoto to Hiroshima is already booked out though most of Nozomi have vacant seats. The normal prices for Hikari and Nozomi are almost identical so I thought Nozomi (fastest) is more popular. I think the most seats on Hikari 531 are occupied by the JR Pass holders.

So I strongly recommend you to buy the Japan Rail Pass online and reserve the seats once your travel plan is fixed.

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/11 16:28
do you know app for Tokyo transport which will guide you from one point to other
Google Maps, also for Kyoto and Hiroshima. It tells you on which platform to board your train/subway (eg: "Platform 17") and which exit to take (eg: "Exit B1"). Since trains tend to be quite punctual, I often don't even check the information sign before boarding, just that the time match. You can try searching for an itinerary you'd like to do (eg Asakusa -> Shibuya), and see if it fits your needs.

Now, if you only have one or two full days in Tokyo and are not used to traveling on your own, I would still recommend you find a half-day guided tour. Ideally, your guide would show you how to top up your IC card, how to read the signage (and not be overwhelmed with the amount of info) etc... If you had more days, you could "afford" to lose time trying to figure out how the public transportation works.
by Mellye (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/12 03:11
Thanks Mellye and Frog1954 for your suggestions.
Frog1954. we shall travel on 13th or 14th Oct only ( from Kyoto to Hiroshima and back). As you said, we can reserve seats using JR pass one month in advance only. But due to some change in plan, we may not buy JR pass and buy one or two tickets directly. How long in advance we can book in that case?

Thanks again.

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/12 11:12
But due to some change in plan, we may not buy JR pass and buy one or two tickets directly. How long in advance we can book in that case?

One month. This is the general rule for JR reservation. You can reserve via "pre-reservation" in which case the request for reservation starts one week ahead. If you use this method, you will receive notification on the one month ahead day from JR if your request was successfully accepted or not. In any case, if you don't use the JR pass, you can reserve Nozomi which will not be booked out early, so you don't need to worry. I don't know whether JR pass user can do "early booking" but Hikari is not popular for non-JR-pass users so you don't need to worry.

Other comments:

1. Have you booked the hotel in Kamikochi? Hotel rooms in Kamikochi might be booked out since tourists are rapidly increasing (both local and foreign).

2. You may consider going to Matsumoto after doing the Kawaguchiko tour, instead of going back to Tokyo. From Kawaguchiko take bus to Kofu and then limited express train to Matsumoto, which will take 1.5+1 hrs. In this way you can start early to Kamikochi.

3. When you arrive Kawaguchiko you can catch sightseeing bus.
http://bus-en.fujikyu.co.jp/heritage-tour/detail/id/1/

4. After Kamikochi you will go to Kyoto. You can go back to Matsumoto and then Limited express train to Nagoya and Shinkansen to Kyoto (3 transfers). Alternatively you can go ahed to Hirayu, Takayama, Shirakawago and then to Kanazawa. From Kanazawa there is Limited express train to Kyoto (4 transfers).

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/12 15:39
Sincere thanks frog1954 for sharing all points in details. I shall go for the pre-reservation route for Kyoto - Hiroshima
Other points

1 Yes, I have booked hotel in Kamikochi as I was aware of the issue
2 Going to Matsumoto from Kawaguchiko in stead of Tokyo
This is an excellent option I did not really explore before.A little too late now. I have already booked hotels in Tokyo for previous night. May be after all bookings are done, I shall explore this option coolly by cancelling one night.

3 Kawaguchiko sightseeing bus.. Thanks

4 Kamikochi to Kyoto travel... Thanks. ( I actually thought of doing the shirkawa go trip while coming back but now thinking of dropping it as there are too many bus changes. Planning to go to kyoto by bus-train only as you have mentioned. Other option I found is a direct bus from Kamikochi to Kyoto, reaching in the evening. Let's see
Thanks again.

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/14 16:11
Hi frog1954 and others, based on your inputs we have finalised our plan and now doing the booking. ( not buying JR pass as we shall have one long distnce trip only)
For our Kyoto to Hirishima trip on 14th Oct ( not yet opened so I tried 12th for an idea) , we are getting best price from Klooks.com ( around 13000 Yen one way, both Nazomi and Hikari. in the morning.) Just a doubt.. how does it help to buy a reserved ticket ( actual confirmation once booking starts before one month) .. if I buy unreserved also, I shall get a seat in any case, is it not? Surely, they will not sell beyond seating capacity?

Another thing if you can help me, we shall reach Kyoto from Matsumoto. Wanted to check / buy the ticket but " Matsumoto " is not accepted in Klooks or other sites? Do I need to input something else?

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/14 17:20
not buying JR pass as we shall have one long distnce trip only

I may have misunderstood, but as far as I know your travel route is:

1. Tokyo to Otsuki (Kawaguchiko) and back or further on from Kofu to Matsumoto.
2. (Tokyo to Matsumoto, if you do backtracking to Tokyo from Kawaguchiko).
3. Matsumoto to Kyoto via Nagoya.
4. Kyoto to Miyajimaguchi (round trip)
5. Kyoto to Tokyo.

1. 2360x2 yen or 2360+3560 yen.
2. 6620 yen
3. 9350 yen
4. 12470x2 yen
5. 13320 yen

There are some small plus and minus (for example, buying fare ticket from Miyajimaguchi to Tokyo will decrease some money while using JR ferry from Miyajimaguchi to miyajima should be added)

Total is more than 50000 yen while the Japan Rail Pass 7 days (online) is 33610 yen.

Am I missing something?

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/15 03:20
Thanks frog1954

Our final travel plan is as follows
Tokyo to. Kawaguchiko day trip from Tokyo
Tokyo to Kamikochi.. by bus ( available, 5 hrs journey) . Night stay at Kamikochi
Kamikochi - Matsumoto by bus ( available frequently
Matsumoto - Kyoto by train * night stay at Kyoto
Kyoto to hiroshima and back by train *
Kyoto - Osaka airport by cab

So we shall have three train rides only which I believe will be cheaper than JR pass

Now, queries are on the points marked *

How to book a Matsumoto -Kyoto ticket. Matsumoto is not accepted as a starting station in klooks or other apps..

Second, for any bullet train ticket ( say Kyoto to a Harashima) reserved tickets are costler.
My doubt is how does reservation help? Even if I go with unreserved ticket, I shall get a seat in any case, is it not?

Thanks again

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/15 05:37
Nope, seating is not guaranteed if you book an unreserved seat.
In the *worst* case, if the train is full in Kyoto, you can still board. There are platforms between cars where you can stand, and 30 minutes later, at Shin-Osaka, there will definitely be people getting off.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/15 16:38
Kyoto to hiroshima and back by train *
Kyoto - Osaka airport by cab

So we shall have three train rides only which I believe will be cheaper than JR pass

Have you checked Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass?

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_hiroshima/

The price is 15800 yen online. You can go from Kyoto to Hiroshima though you can't take Shinkansen from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka (from Shin -Osaka to Hiroshima you can take Shinkansen, even if it's Nozomi or Mizuho). From Kyoto to Shin-Osaka you can choose limited express train such as Haruka or Hakuto. Of course you can reserve the seat in advance. Further this pass enable you to ride on the Haruka train directly goes from Kyoto to Kansai Airport, if it's within the 5 days of varidity.

If you don't have nation-wide JR pass, bus from Kamikochi to Kyoto might be a good option.

https://www.alpico.co.jp/en/timetable/kamikochi/r-osakakyoto-kamikochi...

Three row seat deluxe bus departs Kamikochi at 15:40 every day until Nov 4th which arrives Kyoto station at 21:14.

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/15 19:40
Thanks Mellye and frogq1954

Re the pass you have mentioned, will it still be cost-effective if I have to buy ticket from Kyoto to the intermediate station? How can I check / buy this ticket. ( Klooks or other app is showing direct bullet train option only fm Kyoto to Hiroshima.. it costs around 13K Yen one way)
Is it valid for the ferry in Hiroshima?
Re Kamikochi to Kyoto I have checked the bus option before but not keen to travel by bus for 5-6 hours.. Rather, we can come to Matsumoto, spend some time and then catch the express train. Do you have any link for the train route then I can check exact cost?

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/15 20:19
Re the pass you have mentioned, will it still be cost-effective if I have to buy ticket from Kyoto to the intermediate station?

Kyoto to Shin-Osaka (not by shinkansen but by "conventional tokaido line" limited express) is included by Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass. Please see the map of the pass. So you need to pay 15800 yen for the pass and that's all.

How can I check / buy this ticket. ( Klooks or other app is showing direct bullet train option only fm Kyoto to Hiroshima.. it costs around 13K Yen one way)

Online. Once you buy the pass online you can reserve all the ticket one month in advance online. Note that in this case you can choose all of the shinkansen trains west of Shin-Osaka including Nozomi, Hikari, Mizuho and Sakura, so you don't need to worry.

Is it valid for the ferry in Hiroshima?

Yes. Please see the map.

Re Kamikochi to Kyoto I have checked the bus option before but not keen to travel by bus for 5-6 hours.. Rather, we can come to Matsumoto, spend some time and then catch the express train. Do you have any link for the train route then I can check exact cost?

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/

This is JR-West site, but Matsumoto to Kyoto is owned by JR-Central so you can't reserve the seat on this site. You can search the route and price though. As far as I know JR-central does not offer the reservation site including Matsumoto-Kyoto route.

If you enter Matsumoto and Kyoto for departure and destination you will get the results. For 15th Aug it is 10650 yen for reserved seats (from Matsumoto to Nagoya for limited express and Nagoya to Kyoto for shinkansen.

Re: Day trips from Tokyo and Hiroshima 2023/7/16 01:31
Thank you so much frog1954. This pass is a great cost-saving option. Now I can proceed

reply to this thread