Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Stopover Kumano Kodo to Tokyo 2023/7/17 18:16
Hi, we are hiking the Kumano Kodo in October. We have one night on the way back to Tokyo. Any suggestions on where we could spend that night on our way back to Tokyo? I was thinking about somewhere around Ise-Shima. Thank you.
by Donna (guest)  

Re: Stopover Kumano Kodo to Tokyo 2023/7/18 03:20
Are you aware that there is an overnight bus from Kii-Katsurra to Ikebukuro Station in Tokyo?
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Stopover Kumano Kodo to Tokyo 2023/7/18 03:27
I guess they call it Nachi-Katsurra. Here is a link.

https://nachikan.jp/en/access/from-tokyo/

When I stay in that area, I usually stay at the Resort Hotel Urashima in Katsurra.

Good luck planning your trip.

Re: Stopover Kumano Kodo to Tokyo 2023/7/19 09:42
Thank you for your reply. We will have a JR rail pass and would like to split the travel back to Tokyo over two days and see another area.
by Donna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stopover Kumano Kodo to Tokyo 2023/7/19 11:48
Just so you know, the limited express train that goes towards Nagoya starts at KiiKatsurra Station, so stating at Natchi Katsurra works.

That train going towards Nagoya uses privately owned tracks, so even though you have a JR Pass, there will be a surcharge if you go that way.

My preference is to go back to Shin Osaka station, because I like the scenery, rather than the lower cost.

If you choose to purchase a Green JR Pass, try to get seats 1C or 1D on car 1. This is a wide View Nanki Limited Express train. The view out the front of the train is amazing. 1A and 1B are directly behind the engineer, so the view is blocked a bit.

Re: Stopover Kumano Kodo to Tokyo 2023/7/19 12:06
thanks again. We will be purchasing a green pass. Is the wide view Nanki Limited Express train to go back to Osaka?
Alternatively, do you recommend an overnight stay in the Ise-Shima area? I'm interested to see the female Ama divers.
by Donna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stopover Kumano Kodo to Tokyo 2023/7/19 14:16
I wanted to see the AMA Divers, too, but things didnft work out on that trip. There were tracks out because of a typhoon that year, and I had reservations in Ise. It took me the entire day going around, and I missed out.

There are other wide view trains that are also worth riding on, if you like that sort of thing.

I am told the Nagoya to Takayama is also wide view.

I have also traveled from Okayama to Shinjuku Island on a Marine Liner had a few rows of green first class in the first car.

Some things I like the about the Resort Hotel Urashima. There is a cute turtle boat to get there. The sea cave hot springs are very nice. They have a Tuna carving demonstration on one of their buffet dinners. You will need to ask which one and what time.

Be sure to visit Nachi Falls, too.

Re: Stopover Kumano Kodo to Tokyo 2023/7/19 16:16
It's a bit expensive and the meals are not amazing - but I really enjoyed Hotel Urashima which is known for the large cave onsens right next to the Pacific Ocean. It's probably one of my favourite memories of Japan - and I've visited more places in Japan than most Japanese.

It's in Kii-Katsuura from memory.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Stopover Kumano Kodo to Tokyo 2023/7/19 19:19
Koyasan, or Iga Ueno for the ninja vibe, maybe?

(Another vote for me for Urashima. Yes, it's not supercheap and the food isn't amazing, but the baths are awesome, and you arrive there by TURTLE FERRY!!!!)
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread