Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Tokyo Wide Pass fare adjustment 2023/7/18 00:14
Hello,

I'm planning to use the Tokyo Wide Pass for a Tokyo - Matsumoto - Karuizawa - Tokyo trip. For the ride from Matsumoto to Kaurizawa, the pass only covers the Asama train from Nagano to Karuizawa but not the Shinano train from Matsumoto to Nagano. Can I still use Tokyo wide pass to board the Shinano train and do the fare adjustment after arriving Karuizawa Station? Or I need to buy a Shinano train ticket first for the Matsumoto to Nagano ride and use the Tokyo wide pass to board the Asama train at Nagano. The Japan Travel App route search function does not provide the fare adjustment amount for this trip, is there any other way to find out how much it cost for me to justify buying the pass?

Thank you.
by MingL6C  

Re: Tokyo Wide Pass fare adjustment 2023/7/18 09:00
Tokyo Wide Pass for a Tokyo - Matsumoto - Karuizawa - Tokyo trip. For the ride from Matsumoto to Kaurizawa, the pass only covers the Asama train from Nagano to Karuizawa but not the Shinano train from Matsumoto to Nagano.

Your trip would be Tokyo-Shinjuku-(Kobuchizawa-)-Matusmoto-Nagano-(Sakudaira)-Karuizawa-Tokyo.

Tokyo Wide Pass is valid until Kobuchizawa and Sakudaira, so you must pay (Kobuchizawa-)-Matusmoto-Nagano-(Sakudaira) section. You can do fare adjustment for Kobuchizawa to Matsumoto on the train (from Shinjuku to Matsumoto) and at Matsumoto station (for Matsumoto to Sakudaira). Or you can buy (Kobuchizawa-)-Matusmoto-Nagano-(Sakudaira) ticket including the express and Shinkansen tickets at Tokyo or Shinjuku station.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Wide Pass fare adjustment 2023/7/18 10:48
I didn't realize my Shinjuku to Matsumoto ride is also partly covered by the Tokyo Wide Pass. So consider I'll be only using the pass for these two rides, Day 1: Shinjuku to Matsumoto by Azusa and Day 3: Matsumoto - Nagano - Kaurizawa by Shinano and Asama, is it not worthy for me to buy the pass? And if that is the case, can I use the Suica card to pay for these rides at the gate to save me the time buying the tickets with cash?

Thanks
by MingL6C rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Wide Pass fare adjustment 2023/7/18 11:12
This is only a rough estimate.

Tokyo Wide pass 10180 yen.
(Kobuchizawa-)-Matusmoto-Nagano-(Sakudaira) 7260 yen
Total: 17440

Ordinary tickets Shinjuku-(Kobuchizawa-)-Matusmoto-Nagano-(Sakudaira) -Karuizawa-Tokyo 15610 yen

Note: Nagano-(Sakudaira) -Karuizawa-Tokyo you take non-reserved seat.

Other option: JR-East pass (Nagano, Niigata area) 18000 yen.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/multi/en/pass/eastpass_n.html

Re: Tokyo Wide Pass fare adjustment 2023/7/18 11:22
can I use the Suica card to pay for these rides at the gate to save me the time buying the tickets with cash?

If you join the membership of Ekinet and buy the express fare tickets (for Azusa, Shinano and Asama) online, you can just ride the train. The data will be transferred to the conductor so she/he will know which seats are sold. If you take the right seat she/he will just pass by. For the ordinary fare, you will use your IC card to pay it.

Re: Tokyo Wide Pass fare adjustment 2023/7/18 12:42
If I buy the Azusa, Shinano and Asama express fare tickets online thru Ekinet oversea, do I need to pick up the physical tickets at the local JR office or ticket machine to enter the gate? Or they will email me electronic tickets or QR codes to do so?

Thanks
by MingL6C rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Wide Pass fare adjustment 2023/7/18 15:38
If I buy the Azusa, Shinano and Asama express fare tickets online thru Ekinet oversea, do I need to pick up the physical tickets at the local JR office or ticket machine to enter the gate? Or they will email me electronic tickets or QR codes to do so?

I searched on the net and found this site.

https://www.eki-net.com/top/jrticket/guide/reserve/ic_link.html

I can't find the information other than Japanese so you may need to understand this page.

First, you must have Ekinet ID (which is required for the online reservation) and appropriate IC card (SUICA, ICOCA etc.).

Your IC card have 17 digit unique number so you must link this number (card) with your Ekinet ID. I think you can be an Ekinet member online, but if you don't have an IC card, you can't do this process.

No, they do not e-mail you or send you the QR code.

I think you can receive your reserved ticket (paper) at the ticket vending machine at the station using your resistered credit card.

Re: Eki-net "ticketless" service 2023/7/18 17:59
For one who lives outside Japan,
registration of (Japanese language) えきねっと membership
may not be approved of.
(Not necessarily rejected, though.)
https://www.eki-net.com/top/kiyaku/membership.html

If you join the membership of Ekinet and buy the express fare tickets (for Azusa, Shinano and Asama) online, you can just ride the train.

Limited Express Shinano is not covered by Eki-net "ticketless" service.
https://www.eki-net.com/top/ticketless/

Also, Matsumoto -- Nagano is outside the IC card area.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/suica/area/tokyo/pdf/tokyomap.pdf

So, you have to hold one or two paper tickets.

[When you go without seat reservation]

{JR basic fare ticket for the route which includes Matsumoto -- Nagano
+ non-reserved seat Limited Express ticket for Matsumoto -- Nagano}
OR
JR pass which covers your Shinano train ride.

[When you reserve your seat]

{JR basic fare ticket for the route which includes Matsumoto -- Nagano
or JR pass which covers your Shinano train ride}
+ JR reserved seat ticket for your Shinano train ride.

Note
: Here we are talking about えきねっと services provided in Japanese,
not about JR-East Train Reservation services provided in foreign languages;
they each use the same www.eki-net.com domain.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread