Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Easiest way to type in Japanese in MMORPGs? 2023/7/30 18:26
I am currently studying Japanese and have finished Genki 2, currently doing practice for exams, I aim to be at the N4 level before the exam this December. I thought anime would give me some immersion and it kind of worked for N5 which I passed last year. However, I spend a considerable amount of time playing games, specifically FFXIV. I think I am getting to the level where I might be able to understand basic conversations. However, for basically everything else I would like to keep my PC in English. I am wondering what is the easiest way to input Japanese text into the text box of MMORPGs, specifically FFXIV, that would not be considered a third party add-on that could get me banned. Seeing I spend a considerable amount of time in that game, I feel if I can involve it in my studies I can not only get some practice, but stay motivated to study if I get to use what I learn.
Right now, I use Wanikani and when answering in Japanese it automatically converts the letters I type into hiragana. Hoping I can use something similar but for games.

May sound like an silly/nerdy question but gaming is a big part of how I spend my free time, so if I can make it productive and keep me motivated in my studies it will be great. At present, I can often kind of understand what people are saying, but replying in English creates issues. Firstly it immediately "outs" me as a foreigner in a Japanese server, and some players don't take kindly to that. Secondly, not many of my teammates which are randomly matched automatically by the LFG tool can understand English. Thirdly, even if they are nice and do speak English, once they think I am a foreigner they start speaking English to me which means I don't get to practice my Japanese.

Thank you.
by gamer learning japanese (guest)  

Re: Easiest way to type in Japanese in MMORPGs? 2023/7/31 11:58
What OS are you currently using? Windows or Mac?
For windows have a look at this
https://cotoacademy.com/type-japanese-windows-10/
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Easiest way to type in Japanese in MMORPGs? 2023/8/6 18:13
You should be able to set up a secondry japanese keyboard in the devices.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread