Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko with JR pass 2023/8/1 06:55
Hi all
I want to make use of a JR pass from Shinjuku>Kawaguchiko.
I will not be able to reserve seating as Ifm getting the pass through a 3rd party.
I want to take the Fuji excursion if possible. How do I go about securing seats?

Would it be best to:
1. Exchange the pass and get all the tickets when Ifm in Japan (but then I might miss out due to seat availability)

2. Buy the otsuki>Kawaguchiko ticket online for Fuji excursion and then when I arrive in Japan, exchange the pass and get the seats for Shinjuku>otsuki

Or is there another way ?

Thank you
by Alc17  

Re: Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko with JR pass 2023/8/1 07:43
I want to take the Fuji excursion if possible. How do I go about securing seats?

You can make seat reservations at JR ticket offices after arriving in Japan. I suspect that the train rarely sells out, so usually you should be able to make seat reservations a day in advance or even on the day itself. If you don't have a seat reservation, you can still board the train, and can then look for an empty seat (confusingly indicated by red lights over the seats; while green lights indicate occupied seats). In the unlikely worst case, you can stand. It is explained here:
https://www.jreast.co.jp/hachioji/fuji_excursion/en/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko with JR pass 2023/8/1 10:30
Actually this train does sell out (at least in the one occasion on a WE last autumn I wanted to take it).

But yes, your only option is to make the reservation as soon as you exchanged your JRP.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko with JR pass 2023/8/1 10:38
Thank you both, Ifm also wondering if itfs possible to just buy a ticket for Otsuki>Kawaguchiko online and then get the Shinjuku>Otsuki reserved seating part after I exchange my pass ?

If I canft manage to get the Shinjuku>Otsuki time that I want , can I alter the Otsuki>Kawaguchiko online booking ?
by Alc17 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread