Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Is Nishiki Market open on December 31, 2023 2023/8/10 08:34
Hello - I'm planning my itinerary for our Japan trip at the end of the year. Does anyone know if Nishiki market is expected to be open on December 31, 2023? I could not seem to find an official website for the market. I know that it will be closed from January 1 to January 3 during the national holiday, but wondering about December 31st? Thank you!
by Kim (guest)  

Re: Is Nishiki Market open on December 31, 2023 2023/8/10 14:34
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nishiki Market open on December 31, 2023 2023/8/10 15:13
Dont be disappointed, it would have to be the most overrated thing I have ever visited in Japan, or probably anywhere for that matter
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nishiki Market open on December 31, 2023 2023/8/10 16:39
it would have to be the most overrated thing I have ever visited in Japan, or probably anywhere for that matter

I agree. As a Japanese I would like to say there are no "street food culture" in Japan. Traditionally, eating on the street is considered to be rude in Japan. On the other hand cheap restaurants in Japan are quite cheap as compared to other first world countries (I think it's too cheap).

You may also buy foods at "supermarkets" like Yaoichi-Honkan which is located 200 m north of Nishiki Market.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nishiki Market open on December 31, 2023 2023/8/10 20:46
As well as the supermarket it's fun and interesting to go to the department store food halls, usually on the basement level(s) where you will find food you can take away, and sometimes little places to sit and eat, as well as an extraordinary quantity and range of things to look at.

Nishiki was the first market of its type I ever went to, I assumed I was ignorant and lacking in cultural awareness and that's why I found it dull. While those things are always possible, I've been to many nicer and more interesting places in the streets other cities and towns. Just where the locals shop, really.

Enjoy your time in Japan!
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nishiki Market open on December 31, 2023 2023/8/10 21:46
I used to really like Nishiki Market and in the past (like up until maybe about 10 years ago) found it to be well worth a visit, but it is one of the places in Kyoto that has been ruined by overtourism. I donft bother with it at all anymore myself. But I really did like it back then. Interesting shops and a nice ambience. But the crowds are just insufferable, and a lot the people who work in the shops seem miserable these days.

I have had to gwrite offh a number of places in Kyoto that used to be excellent (and therefore became famous), but fortunately there are lots of other places to go that are great but essentially off the tourist radar map. I am grateful for the sites that suck up all the tourists so I can enjoy the rest of Kyoto in peace and quiet.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nishiki Market open on December 31, 2023 2023/8/11 07:42
Hearty thanks to all who responded! What do the posters on this board think of the food stalls at Outer Tsukiji market? Several friends who have been to both Outer Tsukiji and Nishiki uniformly prefer Nishiki, stating that the food was not particularly good at Tsukiji. Should I skip Tsukiji? Thank you so much in advance!

Re: Is Nishiki Market open on December 31, 2023 2023/8/11 08:17
Tsukiji - IMO way more over-rated than Nishiki. Definitely not a destination for seafood for me.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nishiki Market open on December 31, 2023 2023/8/11 12:19
Hearty thanks to all who responded! What do the posters on this board think of the food stalls at Outer Tsukiji market? Several friends who have been to both Outer Tsukiji and Nishiki uniformly prefer Nishiki, stating that the food was not particularly good at Tsukiji. Should I skip Tsukiji? Thank you so much in advance!

Re: Is Nishiki Market open on December 31, 2023 2023/12/31 17:38
On google maps it looks open. As in tracks it as ebusyf right nowc I think the website says their e-commerce operation is shut down for the holidays. Not 100% sure, but we will go tonight. Hope this helps!
by James (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread