Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Sapporo Snow Fest without skiing 2023/8/17 10:11
Hello folks:

I intend to travel in Hokkaido (mainly around Sapporo) around the Sapporo Snow Festival. I will stay for the festival for 2 full days and nights, but wonder where else I should visit, without doing any winter sports. I really like onsen, but understand that some ryokans or hotels don't like single guests.

Also, I don't have snow boots, because I live in California. Will waterproof hiking boots with a pair of warm socks work? Or do I really need snow boots?

Thank you very much!
by doggieluver  

Re: Sapporo Snow Fest without skiing 2023/8/17 16:12
Will waterproof hiking boots with a pair of warm socks work?

Yes, get some thermal socks and you'll be fine with boots.
by Denis C rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Fest without skiing 2023/8/17 18:07
Other tourist places could be Otaru, Pinguin March inOtaru or Asahikawa Zoo. And the village of reconstructed old houses in Sapporo.

There is more than enough to do for 2 days.

Regarding onsen, ryokan isnft your only option. There are many day spa onsen as well. One even within Chitose airport.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Fest without skiing 2023/8/17 18:54
For an onsen experience, I recommend the Jozankei Onsen resort within the Minami-ku area of Sapporo, and roughly a 60-80 bus ride from Sapporo Station.

I have only ever done day visits from Sapporo. However, I have done a quick search for ryokans that accept 1 person bookings and 'Jozankei Onsen Yurakusoan' appeared.

Other than staying at an onsen, though, Jozankei Onsen also has a lot to offer for a day trip from Sapporo.

There are plenty of free foot baths dotted around the area.
And two facilities within the resort, which are my personal recommendations, are;
- 'Kokoro no Sato Jozan'. The facilities here include numerous foot baths, a lounge area where you can enjoy a selection of cakes and drinks, a library and also a tearoom.
- Hoheikyo Onsen. This onsen offers a large open air bathing experience, which can be enjoyed at all times of the year, including during the winter. (I also like this onsen, as they allow tattoos. In case tattoos are a factor for you, too).

https://livejapan.com/en/in-hokkaido/in-pref-hokkaido/in-sapporo_chito...
https://livejapan.com/en/in-hokkaido/in-pref-hokkaido/in-sapporo_chito...

As for other day trips from Sapporo. I'd recommend Otaru, especially for the snow light path festival. And also Asahikawa (for the penguin march at the zoo, the Asahikawa Snow festival and also for the ramen).
Another interesting spot, just south of Sapporo, is 'Makomanai Takino Cemetery', for it's buddha statue and also replicas of Stonehenge and Easter Island Moai heads.
https://hokkaidoguide.com/makomanai-takino-cemetery/
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Fest without skiing 2023/8/18 01:52
Thank you very much for your enthusiastic replies.

How does Lake Toya compare to Jozankei?

How is the shopping scene in Sapporo?

Is Hakodate worth a trip?
by doggieluver rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Fest without skiing 2023/8/18 08:56
I really like onsen, but understand that some ryokans or hotels don't like single guests.
Odd, I've never encountered a problem and I clock up hundreds of days as a single occupant all across the country.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Fest without skiing 2023/8/18 10:10

I personaliy would pick Lake Toya.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Fest without skiing 2023/8/18 11:59
Only tourists (like me) wear boots in Sapporo. Even my husband (from Tokyo) got away by applying waterproof spray on his ordinary loafers.

But you do need something to prevent you from slipping on the snow, especially if you're not used to walking on it. You can buy boots locally, unless you have bigger feet, but in almost any Kiosk or drugstore in Sapporo, you will find attachable spikes you can put on your everyday shoes. Ask for "su-be-ri-do-me" and point at your shoes. Below are examples:
https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=557985309&rlz=1C1SQJL_jaJP909JP9...

Warm socks would help, but it may even be better to bring lots of ordinary socks so that you can exchange them frequently. Portable disposable warmers for both your pockets and shoes are also available at Kiosk and drugstores. Ask for Hokaron and point at wherever part of your body you want to keep warm.

Winter in Hokkaido is all about great seafood. Why not visit a fish market and enjoy some good sushi or sashimi or donburi, be it fresh or grilled. There are also lots of museums and cultural places. I would say Hakodate is worth a trip, but then, that could be because I love colonial port cities. And there are just too many to see elsewhere nearer.

Sapporo is an extremely organized city where you can walk indoors for miles, where most indoor places have central-heating (which is rare in Japan) and where most restaurants have closets to secure your coats from the smell of food (which is also rare in Japan). I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Fest without skiing 2023/8/18 16:21

Lake Toya has a lot to offer during the warmer months. However, during the winter months, the walking trails, observation point and the buses to the Usuzan Ropeway are closed.
I would certainly recommend Jozankei Onsen over Lake Toya during the winter months.

How is the shopping scene in Sapporo?

Depends on what you are after?
If anime/manga subculture is what you're after. Then you will find things such as a Pokemon Center, Animate and Book off. However, there's nothing like Akihabara, Nakano Broadway or Nipponbashi.

Meanwhile, the largest shopping complex would be Sapporo Factory.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5314.html

Another place of interest (if you like chocolate) would be Shiroi Koibito Park. Which is a chocolate shop, museum and factory.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5307.html

Is Hakodate worth a trip?

I would certainly recommend dedicating 2 days to Hakodate.
Whilst feasible, a day trip from Sapporo would be very long and you wouldn't have long enough in Hakodate to fully enjoy the city, nor justify the time spent on a train. (be good once the shinkansen extension to Sapporo is completed circa 2030...)
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Fest without skiing 2023/8/21 06:30
i would be very flexible to allow for heavy snowfall during your visit. Shopping is great and with the underground walkway, your mobility is fine. i would stay near Odori Park so you can see the snow festival and have easy access to the underground walkway. there is a great tourist bureau in Sapporo station that can assist you in going to other places but, as I said, the snow may restrict you. i have gone to Sapporo 21 straight years before Covid 19 and went for 15 days this June. Great city and well worth your full attention
by sapporostan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread