Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Visiting Nara and Gion on the same day 2023/8/17 12:25
will be doing a solo trip to japan early october and it'll be my third time there. Its my first time doing solo trip though and gotta admit this is my first time planning my own itinerary.

Is it too much for a day if im visiting both nara park and gion on the same day?
im planning to visit nara park in the morning 0730hrs
This are the places i have in mind to visit:
-Todai-ji temple
-kasuga taisha
-Isuien garden
-lunch at sanjo dori street

Planning to reach gion around 1230hrs
places i wanna see in gion:
-nishiki market
-shijo dori
-shirakawa lane
-gion tatsumi bridge
-tasumi jinja
-hanamikoji street
-kennin-ji temple
-gion corner
-yasaka shrine
-have dinner pontocho alley
planning to leave gion at around 2000hrs

or should i split them up and have a full day for Gion? any guides and suggestions will be appreciated. thanksss
by Broel  

Re: Visiting Nara and Gion on the same day 2023/8/17 16:44
please split the schedule, then you can also enjoy your time in these destinations...

After seeing Nara and back in Kyoto, go to Nishiki market - it is quite big and takes time to walk there, see small shops, have bite etc. If you still have energy after market and it is already dark outside, go to Gion just to walk on these narrow streets and maybe even see maikos going to work. It is magical!

Next day start with Kennin-ji (opens 10:00) and see all other places there in daylight.
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Nara and Gion on the same day 2023/8/17 16:53
It would be better to split them, but it's technically doable if you are staying in Nara. Forget it if you're starting from Osaka.

Arriving in Gion at 12:30 seems a bit optimistic, since you transportation will take roughly one hour, which means finishing your lunch at 11:30.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Nara and Gion on the same day 2023/8/17 17:01
I really like Nara and would spend weeks there if I could, but given what you want to see I would try to get back to Kyoto mid afternoon and knock over Nishiki market which to me is not interesting at all (but some people love it), but at least it would then get your appetite up and leave you well set up to have dinner in pontocho alley.

Then the next day you could enjoy Gion proper (on the other side of the river) which if you include Kiyomizudera would take the better part of a day. My favorite parts are the little lanes that run from Yasaka shrine up to the Kiyomizudera precinct, and the area running up to Kiyomizudera itself is nice early and late in the day but too busy to enjoy otherwise.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Nara and Gion on the same day 2023/8/17 18:53
Thanks all for the reply! Will be splitting them up to different days. tyty :)
by Broel rate this post as useful

reply to this thread