Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Getting Admission in Public HS as a foreigner 2023/8/19 13:27
Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing good.
I have a few Qs about going to High School in Tokyo as I am moving there in the coming months.
Background: I am a 16 year old, Grade 10 student in my home country. As per my Countryfs Academic Calendar, I would have completed Grade 10 in April 2024, (we have already completed half of the course as of today). Now, I am moving to Tokyo with my parents (I have no authority over decisions) in September / October. I would be going to a Public School with a Special English Test for Foreign students (can't afford private schools).
I have gathered info about Schooling in Japan etc.
But I am a bit confused over some things:

Q1. Will I be able to get admission in September / October or will I have to wait until March/April when the academic year starts?

Q2. Can I get admission to the 1st year of HS as per my age in September / October?

Q3. If it's not possible to get admission in Sep/Oct, will I be able to get admission in 2nd year HS in March/April or will I have to repeat the 1st Year of HS again?

Thanks
by Lemon (guest)  

Re: Getting Admission in Public HS as a foreigner 2023/8/19 14:05
Youfd need to ask the school (as you seem to have already identified a high school with special English tests?) to see what their policy is.

My situation was completely different, but in my case (Japanese national, Japanese is my mother tongue), i spent equivalent of 8th and 9th grades of Japanese junior high (part of 8th, full 9th grade, and a semester of 10th grade of American school) in the US due to fatherfs work, and upon returning to Japan in March, my parents found me a high school that admitted greturneesh from overseas, got me to take their acceptance exam, and the school decided to accept me and put me right at the beginning of 10th grade, where I belonged by age, right from April.

I had no problem with the language, I donft know about you. And I donft know what kind of school you will be going - i guess the classes will be taught in Japanese? They might ask you to study the language first for a while until you can somehow manage in the Japanese language.

Have you seen this article?
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Japan-immigration/Foreign-students-i...
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Getting Admission in Public HS as a foreigner 2023/8/19 18:01
@AK
Thanks for the reply. I will surely get in touch with HS, to ask them about my situation.
Japanese is not much of a problem.
Thanks again.
by Lemon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread