Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

17 day itinerary - well paced? 2023/8/24 22:14
Hello everyone!
This November I will travel for the 2nd time to Japan, together with my partner (his 1st time), from 2 Nov to 19 Nov. As a result, I am planning an itinerary that covers the "main sights", together with new things for me as well :) The itinerary will be approx. like this:

02/11 arrival to Tokyo-Narita - Check-in at hotel near Tokyo Station, visit to Roppongi Hills More Tower Sky Deck
03/11 Sightseeing in Tokyo - Meiji Shrine, Takeshita Street in Harajuku, Yoyogi Park, Shibuya Crossing, shopping in Shibuya
04/11 Sightseeing in Tokyo - Senso-ji Shrine in Asakusa, Hamarikyu Gardens, Odaiba area including Fuji TV building
05/11 Day trip to Kamakura - Hasedera Temple, Great Buddha, Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine - evening in Yokohama walk through Minato Mirai
06/11 Day trip to Nikko - Shinkyo Bridge, Rinnoji Temple, Toshogu Shrine, Futarasan Shrine, Tamozawa Imperial Villa
07/11 Sightseeing in Tokyo - Tokyo Imperial Palace, Pokémon Café, walk through Ginza, shopping in Akihabara
08/11 Day trip to Hakone - Hakone-jinja Shrine, Hakone Sightseeing Cruise, Hakone Ropeway, Hakone Open Air Museum
09/11 On the way to Kanazawa from Tokyo - Stop to see Matsumoto Castle, check-in at hotel in Kanazawa and Omicho Market
10/11 Morning bus to Shirakawa-go, afternoon in Takayama - Takayama-jinja, Hachiman Shrine, Sanmachi Suji
11/11 Kanazawa - Oyama Shrine, Kanazawa Castle, Kenrokuen Garden, Seisonkaku Villa, train to Kyoto in the evening
12/11 Sightseeing in Kyoto - Kitano Tenmangu Shrine, Ninna-ji, Rinna-ji - afternoon in Arashiyama - Bamboo Grove, Tenryu-ji, Okochi Sanso Garden
13/11 Sightseeing in Kyoto - Kiyomizu-dera, Yasaka Shrine, Chion-in, Heian Shrine, Nanzen-ji, Eikando Temple, Ginkaku-ji
14/11 Sightseeing in Kyoto - Fushimi Inari Taisha, Tofuku-ji, Nijo Castle, travel to Byodo-in in Uji
15/11 Half-day trip to Nara (Kofuku-ji, Todaiji, Nigatsudo Hall, Kasuga Taisha) - travel to Osaka (Osaka Castle, Dotonbori walk, Umeda Sky building)
16/11 Half-day trip to Himeji (Himeji Castle and Gardens) - travel to Kobe (Kobe Ropeway, Kitano area, port of Kobe earthquake Memorial, Kobe beef dinner)
17/11 Travel to Hiroshima (Hiroshima Peace Memorial and Museum, Hiroshima Castle) - ship to Miyajima and night there (Itsukushima Shrine, Great Torii)
18/11 Sightseeing in Miyajima (Daisho-in, Senjokaku Pavilion), travel to Tokyo and night there
19/11 Flight back from Tokyo-Narita

From this, I would have 3 questions:

Do you think it is worth to dedicate a day trip to Himeji/Kobe, or I could cover Himeji on the way back from Miyajima? I already visited Kobe on my first trip, my partner has not.

Is it worth to go to Shirakawa-go for a day trip, or you would recommend tackling Takayama, Toyama...?

Overall, do you think I'm missing anything important, or do you think it is feasible?
Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback!
by Carlos (guest)  

Re: 17 day itinerary - well paced? 2023/8/25 13:50
06/11 Day trip to Nikko - Shinkyo Bridge, Rinnoji Temple, Toshogu Shrine, Futarasan Shrine, Tamozawa Imperial Villa

Instead of going to Rinno-ji Temple or Futarasan-jinja Shrine, the general route is to go through Iroha-zaka and go to Kegon Falls.
11/11 Kanazawa - Oyama Shrine, Kanazawa Castle, Kenrokuen Garden, Seisonkaku Villa, train to Kyoto in the evening

I like the 21st Century Museum of Art, the Higashi Chaya district, the street of samurai residences, (also Kenrokuen).
If you go to Matsumoto Castle, you may not need to go to Kanazawa Castle. (If you have time, you can stop by.)
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: 17 day itinerary - well paced? 2023/8/25 16:59
Shirakawago —> very touristy You could go to Hida no sato museum village in Takayama instead.

Toyama —> I donft think it is specially interesting

Back to Tokyo —> it seems a bit risky to return to Tokyo only the night before your departure. It can work out well in most circumstances, but typhoons happen and Shinkansen can stop for a day. So just have an eye on the weather forecast. If there is a typhoon approaching return to Tokyo a day early not to miss your flight.

Overall the pace is quite high but not ludicrously high and you can always drop a spot on a day if you are too tired.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 17 day itinerary - well paced? 2023/8/25 18:15
Looks like a good but intense itinerary, doesn't seem to have any relaxing time, just a long list of sightseeing things every day. Personal choice though.
by Denis C rate this post as useful

Re: 17 day itinerary - well paced? 2023/8/25 19:50
15 from November:
Nara AND Osaka!
Half a day in Nara.... a lot of rush if you want to see everything and in the end you end up not seeing anything, but if it's just for pictures... that's fine.
by pirataurbano rate this post as useful

Re: 17 day itinerary - well paced? 2023/8/25 23:19
Hi
14/11 Fushimi inari- Uji biyoduin - Nara
Are on the same train line instead you come back to Kyoto.
Also consider the time needed to commute and reach each place and visit each place
In my taste some days are too packed.
For example in byoduin there was a museum and a tea house we enjoyed .Both take time. Also from the train station you have to walk for some minutes .

by New Japan trip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 17 day itinerary - well paced? 2023/8/25 23:51
Original poster here :)

Thanks a lot for the comments! Most of the days reflect my former itinerary for my initial trip to Japan, and it was intense but also not rushed. On this initial trip, it was the summer and I even had time to go back to the hotel to shower / change clothes after being drenched in sweat :D

I take the point about Hida no Sato, and will do some research to see what works best, and also the recommendations for skipping Kanazawa Castle itself (will likely go to the TeamLab exhibition there in the first evening) and the further suggestions for Nikko and Kanazawa.

I did Nara and Osaka in my first day, I was in Nara by 9:30 and leaving it around 14:30, arriving in Osaka Castle by 16:00. Given that the sun sets around this time, I might extend Nara and only going to Osaka later, directly to Dotonbori and skipping Osaka Castle if needed.

by Carlos (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 17 day itinerary - well paced? 2023/8/26 09:33
I didn't know about teamLab's event at Kanazawa Castle.
By the way, the opening time is from 18:00 to 21:30.
https://www.teamlab.art/jp/e/kanazawacastle/
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread