Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Is the Itinerary good enough? 2023/8/29 18:04
Hi! Will be traveling to Japan this coming October to November and will be staying there for 9 Days. Since this is the first time we'll be traveling to Japan, would like to ask for your opinion if the itinerary is good enough for us to enjoy our trip to Japan. FYI, I'm traveling with 60 year olds but still young at heart.

Day 1 - Roam around Tokyo (mostly visit temples, museum, gardens, etc.)
Day 2 - Go to Mt. Fuji early in the morning then return to Tokyo by 1PM (Explore Harajuku District & Takeshita Street)
Day 3 - Studio Ghibli Museum or Harry Potter Studio Tour (Is it worth it?)
Day 4 - Travel to Kyoto ( Please recommend tourist spots :(( Wanted to go to Shirakawa-go and Kanazawa but it might be impossible since it would take 4 hours to go there)
Day 5 - Still in Kyoto
Day 6 - Travel to Osaka (Any recommendation?)
Day 7 - Still in Osaka (Visit Universal Studio)
Day 8 - Return to Tokyo
Day 9 - Return Flight

Any suggestions with my itinerary? Would really appreciate your opinion/recommendations!
by joys10  

Re: Is the Itinerary good enough? 2023/8/30 07:54
hi! Shirakawago might be a bit far. as this is your first time, you might want to stick with Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto. You can also throw in Nara since it is accessible from Osaka or Kyoto. Or possibly do a day trip to Nikko from Tokyo. This is in addition to your day trip to the Fuji/Hakone area.

i would also suggest that you plan alternative places to go for the seniors in case theyfre not too keen on theme parks.
by andrea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the Itinerary good enough? 2023/8/30 07:55
forgot to mention that your day 2 plan might be too rushed. a day would usually be allotted to visit fuji/hakone area.
by andrea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the Itinerary good enough? 2023/8/30 08:20
Day 2 - Go to Mt. Fuji early in the morning
¨
Where are you planning to watch it from?
Mt.Fuji is best seen in the morning, but there are times when it is not visible even if the weather is clear.
For example, if you are planning to go to Lake Kawaguchi, I think that you can definitely see the situation on that day by checking the live camera of Lake Kawaguchi.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Is the Itinerary good enough? 2023/8/30 08:47
My previous answer was slightly wrong.
My house is located about 60km from Mt.Fuji, but even if it's sunny, there are times when I can't see the whole thing because of clouds.
However, if you go to Lake Kawaguchi, perhaps you can see the whole picture.
However, if you want to know if you can see it for sure, it is still a good idea to check with a live camera.
https://www.town.fujikawaguchiko.lg.jp/info/info.php?if_id=7
https://live.fujigoko.tv/
https://www.uty.co.jp/livecam/kawaguchiko.php

Re: Is the Itinerary good enough? 2023/8/30 11:35
Day 1 - Roam around Tokyo - Asakusa is a good location for this and then the nearby Ueno and its park.
Day 2 - Go to Mt. Fuji early in the morning then return to Tokyo by 1PM - quite impractical - travel time is way too long to look at Fuji for five minutes. If it is clear, you can see it from Tokyo. Like @Haro says, if it is clear, great (and Nov is better than summer), but if cloudy a waste of time (and yes, I can see the thing from my houe in winter when the tree next door drops its leaves). Hakone is worth a full day.
Day 3 - Studio Ghibli Museum or Harry Potter Studio Tour - can you get tickets? Ghibli ones are very hard to get.
Day 4, 5, 6 & 7 - Travel to Kyoto - many recommended tourist spots on Japan-Guide. Shirakawa-go is way too far, but I have done Kanazawa as an afternoon stop between Tokyo and Kyoto once before t visit the castle park and Kenrokuen.
Day 6 - Travel to Osaka - Any recommendation? - stay in Kyoto, don't move hotel. Consider a day trip to Nara.
Day 7 - Still in Osaka - stay in Kyoto, Osaka is a short train trip away.
Day 8 - Return to Tokyo
Day 9 - Return Flight
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is the Itinerary good enough? 2023/8/30 11:38
Only 8 full days.

Don't do anything where you need to ask others, 'it is woth it?'

Stick to Tokyo and Kyoto.

Day 2 is not realistic.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the Itinerary good enough? 2023/8/30 12:06
Day 2 is impossible.

Going to Kyoto - you will find plenty to see in Kyoto (if you are interested in the traditional side of Japan, that is). But please forget about Kanazawa and Shirakawago.

Any particular interests in Osaka? You could skip Osaka itself and go see Himeji Castle in HImeji.

On their other hand, you gcouldh also stay the whole time in Tokyo and its vicinity, and visit places like Nikko, Kamakura, or (full-day) day trip to Lake Kawaguchi areas from Tokyo.

Please read the gdestinationsh section of Japan Guide (the website we are on), and choose places according to your interests. Enjoy planning and enjoy your trip.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Is the Itinerary good enough? 2023/8/30 16:59
Tokyo - forget temples, temples are Kyoto's thing. Tokyo is about Shibuya, Akihabara, museums, Skytree. Ghibli if get tickets.
For Fuji full day, not just a morning.
2nd half stay in Kyoto - you can take train to Universal in Osaka, no need to waste time for relocation. 1-2 daytrips to Nara and Biwa (Omi Hachiman for example, take a bike and enjoy countryside).
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the Itinerary good enough? 2023/8/30 18:16
I just remembered that you might be able to see Mt. Fuji from the right window of the Shinkansen going from Tokyo to Kyoto. (Mt. Fuji on the Shizuoka side)
If the weather is good, you can even see it from the platform of Shin-Fuji Station.

Re: Is the Itinerary good enough? 2023/8/30 20:01
Thank you so much for all your suggestions! Really appreciate it. Will definitely revise my itinerary, especially Day 2. Once again, thank you! <333
by joys10 rate this post as useful

Re: Is the Itinerary good enough? 2023/8/30 20:31
If you decide to see Mt Fuji from the Shinkansen get seats D and E
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread