Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Tattoo japanese 2023/8/31 07:07
If i get this tattoo saying have mercy on me but in japanese would it still mean the same thing being downwards for example like this Ž„
‚É
Žœ
ӧ
‚ð
by Philthyphil  

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/8/31 10:58
Yes, the direction doesnft change the meaning.
You can write it up-down or left-right. You actually even can write it left-right which sometimes is seen in old signs (eg the name of temple or old hotel).
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/8/31 11:13
Sorry I meant you can even wrote it RIGHT to LEFT. not common but possible and legible.

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/8/31 11:47
Writing the characters from top to bottom or left to right won't change the meaning, and while it's sort of an antiquated method, writing the characters right to left would also have the same meaning.

It might also be worth noting that whether your write the characters top to bottom, left to right, or right to left, a tattoo with that phrase is going to look silly to Japanese people/people who can read Japanese.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/8/31 11:59
It would mean the same thing - but you need to watch out for the font as wellc you wouldnft want any square textbook style font, would you? If you want anything artistic-looking, youfd need to find someone who can do flowing script style, that connects all the kanji in flowing strokes correctly, meaning they need to know the language and how it is written to do the tattoo design properly.

May I ask what you want to say by this, by the way?

I donft know if in English it sounds like you are seeking mercy from someone above, so that it shows you are a firm believer - but if you walk around with that on your arm in Japanese, people who can read Japanese would wonder, oh so this person is seeking mercy from people he meets/sees around himself? What did he do?? It IS odd.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/8/31 13:25
You are nudged toward rethinking about this tattoo,
also in your earlier thread.
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+178677

A Japanese phrase to say "have mercy on me"
may sound nice only in a sense of humor, I think.
That's way I mention street performer and stage comedian.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/8/31 14:54
Yes, you would equally and successfully look miserable and awkward, because it means the same thing. As a result, you'd be making Christians look silly.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/8/31 16:02
it indicates in Japanese that you are a beggar.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/8/31 22:09
Uco and Ken's comments explained to me perfectly why my very first impression of the tattoo OP plans was quite bad and seemed strange. It looks and sounds like a beggar!

This often occurs with tattoos in Japanese. Since translation is not an one-to-one game and doesn't always have a precise outcome, a sentence that appears fine in the original language can be odd and silly in another language, similar to 'Engrish' T-shirts sold in Japan. The same holds true for that tattoo. If OP only displays it in his/her own country, that would be okay. The tattoo will look super cool. However, if OP does the same in Japan, many of us, Japanese people who can read it directly, will find it weird, and some might even consider it foolish. Some rude people might even laugh at OP. This represents the downside of having tattoos in Japanese language. Unlike a T-shirt that people can simply remove, tattoos present an unsolvable dilemma.
by Stip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/8/31 23:55
Well, like I wrote on the OP's other thread, the translation is correct. And it would be perfectly appropriate within an appropriate context.

For example, "have mercy on me" is a word that a beggar can use. I would assume that it would be convenient if the beggar tattooed it on his/her body, because it may automatically attract Japanese donators visiting the beggar's foreign country. Looking miserable and awkward is a great way to pity.

Meanwhile, "have mercy on me" is a phrase often used by Christians speaking to the Lord. If the beggar wearing the tattoo goes to a Christian church, Japanese worshippers would give money and food instead of spiritual blessings. Then, non-Christians might get a wrong impression on Christianity.

Inking your body comes with a certain degree of responsibility, because it sticks on you forever. Sure, you can wear it discreetly in your little home town, but then, you wouldn't need it to be Japanese. Moreover, you don't need to get it correctly in the first place.

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/9/2 07:58
Guys thanks for the help but ifm not christian and donft plan on going to japan within 20 years thanks though
by Philthyphil rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/9/4 12:41
It makes no sense that you are getting a tattoo of a message that's important to you, but not in a language you understand. You ask if the translation is correct, and then ignore it when people explain the meaning isn't conveyed like you believe it is. I just don't get it. Why ask in the first place?
by Haha (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/9/6 10:44
@Phily

I don't understand why you're asking the same question multiple times on this forum as if you ask the question enough times, that you'll get a response that you like. It seems like you're trying to ignore all of the feedback that people are giving you, even if it's negative.

We gave you the answers that are honest and how Japanese society would view that kind of tattoo, which would in all honesty, be very strange. As some others have said, why even get a tattoo in a different language if you don't understand the language, culture or what the tattoo itself could even mean?

You also just made a comment about you not being Christian (which I have no idea why you even brought that up as it doesn't pertain to the topic at hand) and that you're not planning to come to Japan for many years.

So... Why exactly do you want a tattoo in Japanese of which a culture you clearly don't have any intention of visiting?? I'm not sure how old you are and I don't judge people as you do you, but it seems like a rash decision that a young person would make just to seem 'cool' for getting a tattoo in another language.

Just remember that just because YOU deem it as something cool, it doesn't mean others will think about it the same way.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/9/9 15:34
@Tom

You also just made a comment about you not being Christian (which I have no idea why you even brought that up as it doesn't pertain to the topic at hand)

This might be because Uco-san's comment mentioned the possibility that OP's tattoo could be misinterpreted as profaning Christianity.
I agree with her anyhow. OP told us it's okay because he's not a Christian, but if he were, the tattoo might unintentionally cause a problem.
by Stip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/9/11 04:08
itfs none of youfre business worrying so much about the art i want on my body itfs not
affecting you at all, ifm just doing research about the language so i donft make a fool of myself tattooing something that doesnft say what i want it to say
by Philthyphil rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/9/11 12:33
gso i donft make a fool of myself tattooing something that doesnft say what i want it to sayh

Well essentially people are telling you that you will be making a fool of yourself because the sentence you choose in Japanese doesnft mean / evoke what you may have in mind.

But hey, itfs your body and you can tattoo on it what you like. Just donft ask for approval from Japanese people for it.

Re: Tattoo japanese 2023/9/11 12:40
itfs none of youfre business worrying so much about the art i want on my body itfs not
affecting you at all, ifm just doing research about the language so i donft make a fool of myself tattooing something that doesnft say what i want it to say

I think we all understand that, and that's why we're saying that just because a piece of language makes sense in a certain conversation, that doesn't mean that the language would not look foolish as a tattoo. We're just trying to answer your question. It's our business for posters to answer it, because that's what question forums are for.

For example, a barber in my neighborhood in Japan once had the English phrase "Please inspect the contents of the package" (or something like that) printed in huge letters on top of their entrance. I'm sure it meant something when the barber looked it up, but it doesn't fit as a sign on their entrance of a barber. That's what happens when you think that "translating" is just switching one phrase to another.

Thank you for your understanding in advance.

reply to this thread