Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

JR Pass & Bus Question 2023/9/1 02:09
We are planning a trip to Japan arriving on November 23 and plan to purchase a JR Pass prior to arrival in Japan. We are deliberating between the 7 or 14 Day pass because we most likely will be able to possible use it more than 7 days. I have been getting different answers to this question so I need to know the correct policy. I plan to purchase the pass in September around September 15 to beat the price increase and we plan to travel by the green car. I know they will mail us a voucher which we convert to a pass upon arrival at Haneda. My question is if the pass will be good through December 8 as that will be when we will leave Japan and if it matters if I buy it from JR Direct or a 3rd party like Klook?

Also the express train from Kyoto to Kinosakionsen appears to be a JR Train so should I assume it will be covered and have green class cars? Finally we plan to go to Lake Kawaguchiko after we leave Kinosakionsen. I understand we will return to Kyoto and then take a Hikari Shinkansen train to Mishima and connect Fujikyu bus to Kawaguchi-ko direct. Should I assume the Fujikuyu bus is Not covered by the JR Pass and where do we find this bus at the Mishima stop. Thank you so much for your help.
by Flying Tiger  

Re: JR Pass & Bus Question 2023/9/1 08:11
Hello.

I donft know about JR pass, but I can tell you about the latter questions.

Between Kyoto and Kinosakionsen,
you can travel on JR expresses with green car seats, covered by JR pass.
Check the timetable here:

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/timetable/

At Mishima station, the buses for Kawaguchiko-ko depart in front of the South Gate.
NEVER go out from the North!

https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/station/

Fujikyu buses are not covered by a JR pass,
but you can book online.

https://sekitori.jp/en/

Fujikyu strongly recommends you should book a bus in advance because the line is popular and crowded.

by mr.white! (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass & Bus Question 2023/9/1 08:38
Arrival November 23 and departure December 8. That is 16 days.
Unless you are doing a lot more travelling with long distances, the pass may easily cost more than regular tickets, and that is considering the 7-day pass which, as the name suggests, is seven consecutive calendar days. the 14-day pass is more expensive, but still does not cover your full time. Express trains to places like Kinosaki are not as expensive as shinkansen travel, and some places are not covered by the pass - non-JR rail companies for example.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass & Bus Question 2023/9/2 05:28
Thank you but the root of my question is if I purchase a JR Pass say on September 15th from either JR Directly or say Klook or another 3rd party vendor, will that price I pay be good on November 27 when we active the JR Pass? Some have told me that I would have to pay a surcharge if I purchase in September and active that late in November since the rates are going up October 1. We are planning on purchasing a 7 day JR rail pass as it appears that going from Tokyo-Kyoto-Kinosakionsen-Kyoto-Tokyo would be enough travel to justify a 7 day pass. I really would like to have a pass good for more days than 7 but I feel the 14 day Green car pass would just be too much since we are going to have to take a bus to Lake Kawaguchiko from Mishima and then I am not sure how we will leave Lake Kawaguchiko to head back to Narita where we will stay the night before our flight departs home on December 8. Thoughts?
by Flying Tiger rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass & Bus Question 2023/9/2 07:20
Some have told me that I would have to pay a surcharge if I purchase in September
No, there is no surcharge, the price you pay is the price on the day you buy it even is you do the exchange order change later. There is a new Nozomi "option" which is priced so high I don't think anyone would do that except for very special circumstances.

We are planning on purchasing a 7 day JR rail pass as it appears that going from Tokyo-Kyoto-Kinosakionsen-Kyoto-Tokyo would be enough travel to justify a 7 day pass.
Yes, or you could get the discount Tokyo-Kyoto tickets (advance purchase) and the Kinosaki Onsen leg separately for around the same price. You also said you are not returning to Tokyo but to Mishima which is a bit cheaper. But, realistically, the pass is not saving you much.
Rail passes can be good value in some cases, but for a lot of people the extra hassle and restrictions are really not worth it. With the October 1st price increase, I am expecting a whole lot less rail pass questions in the forums.

Re: JR Pass & Bus Question 2023/9/4 10:12
I may not have been totally clear. a 7 day JR Pass is not enough days to cover all our transportation after leaving Tokyo where we spend our first 5 days. We will active it to go to Kyoto for 4 days and then onward to Kinosakionsen for 2 days.

After leaving Kinosakionsen, I understand we take an express train to Kyoto then a Shinkansen to Mishima but our JR pass would be expired at this point IF we purchased only a 7 days pass. Our return to Mishima is just so we can catch a bus to Lake Kawaguchiko to hopefully see Mt. Fuji if she is not hiding staying at Wakakusa No Yado Maruei Ryokanei which I read is nice. After spending 1.5 days at Lake Kawaguchiko, we will return to Tokyo for a stay at Hotel Villa Grand Fontaine at Haneda airport the night before our flight home if that matters. Since a 7 day pass is actually not enough days to cover all days our our journey, we are thinking a JR pass would just make things easier than have to go get a ticket every part of our travel.

Since we know that a 7 days JR pass is not enough, should I consider a 14 day JR Pass for Two or just buy two regular tickets from Lake Kawaguchiko back to Tokyo Haneda? Finally should I buy the two JR Passes from JR DIrect or go through a Third Party like Klook purchasing by September 15.

Re: JR Pass & Bus Question 2023/9/4 10:33
Just a one-way ride fare from Kawaguchi-ko back to Tokyo (to Haneda) definitely does not justify the price difference between a 7-day pass and a 14-day pass.

People buy those nationwide JR passes to save money; it doesnft make sense to buy one if it doesnft :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass & Bus Question 2023/9/5 06:28
So who are the Third Party companies I should buy two 7 day JR Passes from? I read some people say Klook while others bash them. I just need to make sure that my vouchers will be good for 90 Days from Sept 15 when I plan on buying them so that they good till at least Dec 15th. We will probably activate them November 28 to ride the Shinkansen Tokyo to Kyoto and then again four days later to ride an express train Kyoto to Kinosakionsen.

Re: JR Pass & Bus Question 2023/9/5 07:27
Tokyo - Kinosaki onsen with a stop if a few days in Kyoto is less than 18,000 yen
Kinisaki onsen to Mishima less than 15,000 yen.

If this is within 7 days, yes the 7 day JRP is cheaper. (29650 Yen) but if you need the 14 day pass (47250 yen, or 2 7day passes) then buying single tickets is cheaper.

Everything else , how / where / when to purchase is explained here: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass & Bus Question 2023/9/5 07:34
Since we know that a 7 days JR pass is not enough, should I consider a 14 day JR Pass for Two or just buy two regular tickets from Lake Kawaguchiko back to Tokyo Haneda? Finally should I buy the two JR Passes from JR DIrect or go through a Third Party like Klook purchasing by September 15.
The point is that many people think a pass (7-day or otherwise) is some amazing ticket that magically works for tourists. That is not how things work. For people travelling long distances in a short time a pass can offer some savings, but many schedules are more expensive than regular tickets. It has been that way for a long time and post Oct 1st many of these JR questions will disappear as the cost of the pass will make the choice much more obvious.
In your case, you are travelling slowly and not very far, so your trip is not a good candidate for a JR pass, and if you price out the trip, you will find you will probably not save anything and possibly spend more than you need to.
Price out the cost for all of your JR trains and the trips you need to take. Knowing your detailed schedule, you can then work out how much you might spend on alternatives.

reply to this thread