Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Onsen near Takayama but not stay the night 2023/9/3 02:44
Are there recommendations of Onsens/baths without staying the night at a Onsen hotel?

I will be basing myself in Takayama and want to try out an Onsen.

Recommendations welcome
by Knnouz  

Re: Onsen near Takayama but not stay the night 2023/9/3 12:31
Okuhida (which is actually within the limits of the huge city of Takayama and accessible by a direct bus line) has many wonderful onsen baths, many of which can be used by non-staying guests:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5942.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen near Takayama but not stay the night 2023/9/3 16:58
Onsen! My speciality. :-)

As already mentioned by Uji Okuhida has many villages with a lot of variation and many hotels and his highly underrated by foreign tourists. Almost all of them offer hikaeri (daytrip).

If you like mixed bathing and would see the famous white/blue water you might also continue to Shirahone Onsen (e.g. when going for Matsumoto afterwards)

If you want to go into the western direction instead (e.g. you want to continue to Kanazawa afterwards) and if one onsen to try is just enough, then Oyadaninoyu or Iwama Onsen are also wonderful.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen near Takayama but not stay the night 2023/9/3 17:30
The Onsen Hotel at Kamikochi has a fantastic rotenburo that is available to the public. Out in a rock pool, trees all around, pristine forest.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen near Takayama but not stay the night 2023/9/3 17:45
Thank you all.

Ifve done some search on this today, but I couldnft find that I could book for a day spa? Is it usually walk-in if you donft stay the night ?
by Knnouz rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen near Takayama but not stay the night 2023/9/3 18:13
If you are talking about the Onsen Hotel, you can email the hotel to check. It does refer to a public onsen on their website, and it was open to day visitors when we were there, but the last time we stayed was pre-COVID 2019
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen near Takayama but not stay the night 2023/9/4 21:04
generally you dont need to book day spas.

just walk in, say you wanna use the onsen, pay a little fee and that's it.

depending on the location, you may also get towels (then it is usually just little more expensive) or have the option to book a private bath if available at the location (even more expensive).
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen near Takayama but not stay the night 2023/9/4 22:21
If you want a private onsen, then yes, try booking ahead. There arenft many private ones and normally they are worse than the public ones (small, only one tubc). Onsen is a public experience with other naked people. Generally gender separated however there are a few mixed ones.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen near Takayama but not stay the night 2023/9/5 03:58
I poked around the Nohi Bus line English website. Nohi is based in Takayama. They have tours, and one, two, and three day passes.

Here is a link:

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/route_bus/shinhotaka-line-en/

This may be useful to look at, when looking for an Onsen. Personally, I have wanted to do the Shinhotaka Ropeway, and go the the baths at the middle station.

Good Luck, planning your trip.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread