Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

JR Rail pass Tokyo - Kobe 2023/9/5 17:00
Dear All,
I am planing go to Japan by end of November'23.
I will travel between Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe, kindly advice what kind of pass I should buy beside Nation wide pass, as I only travel mentioned regions only.

Regards,
Al
by Al Henry (guest)  

Re: JR Rail pass Tokyo - Kobe 2023/9/5 17:47
"IF" you travel to Kyoto. Osaka and Kobe and return back to Tokyo, all within 7 days, then a 7 day pass will work. "IF" longer than 7 days, then no nation wide pass will be suitable.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Rail pass Tokyo - Kobe 2023/9/5 18:46
I think the "H" said something false....
IF you stay MORE than 7 days or 14 DAYS or 21 days, the JRPass will also pay, if it's worth it, there are other things. :))
by pirataurbano rate this post as useful

Re: JR Rail pass Tokyo - Kobe 2023/9/5 18:56
Not sure what @pirataurbano wants to say.

A nationwide JR pass doesnft always pay off. You need to compare single ticket prices with the price of the pass.

- if you buy the pass after 30/Sep it will fit sure not pay off for the trip you have in mind. Single tickets will be cheaper.
- if you buy it before 30/Sep AND if all your train travel fits in 7 consecutive days it will just about pay off. But you need to take the somewhat slower and somewhat less frequent Shinkansen. Itfs not a huge draw back. The other draw back is the need to line up to claim your pass. Can apparently be long queues. On the positive side you have flexibility within those 7 days to throw in a day trip as long (!!!!) as it is with JR trains (and not a train from the myriad of other train companies in Japan)

The JG has an entire section dedicated to the different passes so read through there about validity, cost comparison etc.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: JR Rail pass Tokyo - Kobe 2023/9/5 20:13
A 7 day Japan rail pass MIGHT be worth. Depends on your length of stay, and how much you travel locally. 14 days will definitely not be worth the price for this Itinerary.
by novwnl rate this post as useful

Re: JR Rail pass Tokyo - Kobe 2023/9/5 20:48
Btw, we are assuming that you travel back from Kobe to Tokyo within those 7 days. If you are not going back to Tokyo then pass will not pay off
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: JR Rail pass Tokyo - Kobe 2023/9/6 10:10
I think the OP asks whether there is a cheaper regional pass which covers Tokaido shinkansen from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka. The answer is no. This section is owned by JR-Tokai (JR-Central) and they don't want to sell rail pass for this section, since the JR-Central earns most of their money from this section. It takes only 2.5 hrs from Tokyo to Osaka. There is no competing company (airplane or bus) for this section. The (nation wide) Japan Rail Pass covers this section (only for Hikari and Kodama), but the JR-Central unwillingly do it. That is why the price of nation wide pass will rise from Oct. 1st.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Rail pass Tokyo - Kobe 2023/9/6 17:00
I apologize for my post @LikeBike, as the question was asked I just wanted to make a joke and it wasn't the right place.
by pirataurbano rate this post as useful

reply to this thread