Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Driving trip checking on Feb'24 2023/9/5 17:59
Dear Experts,

Fisrt of all, I visited Japan several time with my wife using public transport and 1 driving trip at Okinawa.

However, next year will be big trip for me to bring my family to Japan. My 5 family members include my 1y8m son and my 62 year old parents and 2 more friends in Japan. I'm never drive in snow before and not sure how much snow on Febuary.

Please advice me to fullfill or adjust my trip,
Roughly plan for 7 days stat from Toyko is something like
Day1 Nikko
Day2 Takaragawa or Kusatsu onsen
Day3
Day4
Day5 Fuji-san (may be Kawakuchiko)
Day6 Tokyo
Day7 Tokyo

Moreover, please give me any feedback and advice since it will be my first time driving in winter.
ps. I consider rental car because it should be more convenient for my little child and my old man with cost should be comparable.

Thank you very much
by SKPz (guest)  

Re: Driving trip checking on Feb'24 2023/9/9 15:11
It takes practice to drive in snow. Too slow is just as bad as too fast. You also need to know how to correct your direction when the car starts to slide.

As long as the roads are clear you should be OK, but if they get snow covered, you should wait until the snow melts or the road is cleared, especially in places like the Irohazaka Slope going up to Lake Chuzenji in Nikko.

A road with traffic is not the place to learn. I still sometimes practice slides on snow in an empty parking lot.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving trip checking on Feb'24 2023/9/11 10:32
Thank you very much.
So it quite difficult, right?

Do you have an idea about how much snow on Febuary around Tokyo, Nikko, Gunma and Kawagujiko.
by SKPz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving trip checking on Feb'24 2023/9/12 13:56
Do you have an idea about how much snow on Febuary around Tokyo, Nikko, Gunma and Kawagujiko.

Even if it snows in Tokyo, it usually melts quickly during the day. I wouldn't drive in Tokyo anyway. Not knowing your way around would make it more difficult than it already is in warm weather.

Nikko can have a lot of snow, especially up around Lake Chuzenji and the ski resorts in the mountains of Gunma should be open for skiing. Kawaguchiko is a little bit lower in elevation and may or may not have much snow, but February is the middle of winter and anything can happen. Fuji-san should be snow covered to the base.

I think your main concern would be if it's snowing while you're traveling as then the snow can pile up on the road surface and if wet, can become very slippery. You would be best to stay put until the snowplows clear the roads.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread