Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Side trip Morioka to Tokyo 2023/9/12 16:18
Can anyone suggest an overnight stay between Morioka and Tokyo? Just looking for something a little off the beaten track.
Will be travelling by shinkansen.
Thank you
by haven 1  

Re: Side trip Morioka to Tokyo 2023/9/13 12:18
Hiraizumi
Yamagata (to see Yamadera) is a detour
Tono (also a detour)
Aizuwakamatsu (also a detour)
Nikko (small detour)
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Side trip Morioka to Tokyo 2023/9/13 15:10
Known as the City of Trees, Sendai offers a mix of modern city life and natural beauty. You can visit the Aoba Castle site for a panoramic view of the city, or explore the shopping arcades in downtown Sendai. The city is easily accessible via the Tohoku Shinkansen.
by samuelwilliams rate this post as useful

Re: Side trip Morioka to Tokyo 2023/9/13 15:46
Hum, I didn't see much "natural beauty" during my stopover at Sendai, but it was a good base to visit Yamadera in the morning :)

I also vote for Hiraizumi, plus the Geibikei nearby.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Side trip Morioka to Tokyo 2023/9/14 02:20
For most, the Tohoku Region is already off the beaten track. But I presume you also mean someplace not too far out of the way.
Sendai and Hiraizumi are the 2 obvious choices. Sendai is a large city but has other nice places like Matsushima and if you have the time, the cat island Tashirojima.

Ichinoseki is another option - there is both Genbikei and Geibikei - the latter is especially beautiful and memorable.
https://youtu.be/NNsGoa4wWOo
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Side trip Morioka to Tokyo 2023/9/17 13:37
Thank you so much for your feedback everyone. All your suggestions are really interesting.
We're visiting Nikko on the way and have spent a few days in Aizuwakamatsu on a previous trip.
I think we'll take a look at Hiraizumi or Sendai.
Many Thanks again
by haven 1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread