Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Overnight stay between Takayama-Kyoto? 2023/9/14 04:33
Hi!

We're visiting Japan late November, hoping to see some nice autumn foliage. We're doing Hakone, Tokyo, Kanazawa before we'll spend one night in Takayama on our way to Kyoto, Nara and Osaka.

Originally we planned two nights in Takayama, but after reading and researching a bit, we felt like one night there might be enough. So now we're trying to find some nice spot for our unplanned night. Preferably accessible by train between Takayama and Kyoto, or around that area.

We're very happy for any suggestions or recommendations!
Thanks 😊
by Tim (guest)  

Re: Overnight stay between Takayama-Kyoto? 2023/9/14 07:36
I usually do two nights in Takayama when I can.
You could easily add an extra night in Kyoto.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Overnight stay between Takayama-Kyoto? 2023/9/14 07:36
The predictions are for a late autumn this year so you might not get autumn colours unless you stay at a highish elevation.

Coming back from Takayama, Hikone would be my pick (train to nagoya, shinkansen to Maibara, 5 mins from there to Hikone). We will be there on the 26th and 27th November ourselves!

Otherwise if it was a Saturday or Sunday, I would go to Nagoya then up to Narai and do the walk from Tsumago to Magome, stay overnight at Nakatsugawa.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Overnight stay between Takayama-Kyoto? 2023/9/14 18:25
When staying for more than one night in Takayama, what's the main reason for the visit? Do you usually go to Shirakawa-go or Kamikōchi via Okuhida Onsen? Because I find the town to be quite small, with not a lot of things to do except the morning market, old town area and folk village.

Lazy Pious, thanks for great recommendations! May I ask why you only recommend the Tsumago to Magome walk during saturday-sunday?
by Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Overnight stay between Takayama-Kyoto? 2023/9/15 04:03
we are doing a half day e bike trip with a visit to a local market and will also visit Hida.
by Plambers rate this post as useful

Re: Overnight stay between Takayama-Kyoto? 2023/9/15 04:19
Hi Tim, the walk is great any time but the towns are best on the weekend IMO otherwise they are a bit quiet. Magome in particular is a nice, fun town, I'd definitely go back and do the walk a third time.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread