Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Overnight hikes Late November/Early December 2023/9/21 01:56
Will be making our first trip Late Nov/Early Dec. We are big hikers/mountain backpacker people, but have been advised against the Alps at this time of year since everything is apparently dead/closed. That being said, even snowcapped, the alps look stunning in pictures, and I was wondering if there are any routes/trails that wouldn't necessarily summit, but would still be as enjoyable.

We're looking to stay mostly in central japan, since we want to do this after our Tokyo time, but before our Kyoto/Osaka/Nara time. We've looked into Kumano Kodo, but it seems like we'd have to cut it short giving the time to get there by bus. We've also considered Yakushima, but that's also a little out of the way. As for the alps themselves, it seems Kamikochi is just straight closed by then right (Nov 25+)?

A trip would be a 2 nighter, but are willing to just do a one nighter if its worth the trip. Honestly, given the time we'll be in the Tokyo/Osaka area with peak maple, we'd be fine with dead trees/snow capped mountains for a change of scenery.
by AKagan (guest)  

Re: Overnight hikes Late November/Early December 2023/9/21 08:25
I've never done anything more than 3 - 4 hours, but I would look at Karuizawa, or parts of the Nakasendo way, eg Magome to Tsumago (which is more of a walk though there are some steepish parts) and other bits in the Kiso Valley, from Nakatsugawa and Narai
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Overnight hikes Late November/Early December 2023/9/21 18:25
Haha, it's the daily Karuizawa recommendation from the unofficial Tourist Board Representative :)
by Denis C rate this post as useful

Re: Overnight hikes Late November/Early December 2023/9/21 18:51
lol, the golden rule of Japan planning - when in doubt go with a K - Kamakura, Karuizawa, Kamikochi, Kanazawa, Kiso Valley, Kyoto, and (K)Nara (the K is silent in KNara).

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Overnight hikes Late November/Early December 2023/9/24 07:29
Kurobe Gorge might actually be quite nice because the leaves are late this year, if you're intent on chasing mountains
by Akaga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread