Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day trip Kamakura/Yokohama ? 2005/7/4 23:17
Hi, I'll be for several days in Kyoto for a conference in September.Then, we have the following itinerary:
1) Day trip to Nara
2) Visit Hiroshima, go to Miyajima and sleep on the island
3) Miyajima - Okayama (?)
4) Okayama - Tokyo
and then 5 full days in Tokyo (6 nights)
We thought of staying for 2 full days in the city itself and then make 3 day-trip excursions from Tokyo. Possibly
- Nikko
- around the Mount Fuji lakes
- Kamakura
We would also like to go to Yokohama. Would you rather recommend Yokohama and skip one of the 3 previous excursions? Or, do you think it is feasible to go to Kamakura and then stop in Yokohama on the way back to Tokyo? (or it is really just impossible to squeeze both in a same day?)
Thanks
by Pat  

... 2005/7/5 10:04
We would also like to go to Yokohama. Would you rather recommend Yokohama and skip one of the 3 previous excursions?

Of the three excusrsions, I would skip Kamakura and replace it by Yokohama, unless you have a special interest in history and culture. Kamakura is much like Kyoto, but on a smaller scale.

If you are a fast traveler, you could manage to visit both Yokohama and Kamakura in one day, but, of course, it depends on what you want to see in each city.
by Uji rate this post as useful

OK 2005/7/5 15:49
OK, I see. I guess in Kamakura we wanted to see the Bouddha and walk around town and by the beach - in Yokohama go to the skyscraper waterfront and the ferris wheel. That might be doable?

Also, concerning the day-trip to the Fuji, what would you recommend? We tought of taking a bus to the five lakes region (Kawaguchiko): is that a good option, knowing that we of course won't have time to hike up the mountain? Or for a close look at the mountain, would you rather recommend going to the southern region (Hakone, etc.) ?
by Pat rate this post as useful

Kamacura/Yokohama. 2006/4/29 08:59
I will be staying 4 days in Yokohama and I will like to take a tour to KamaKura to see the Great Budha what do you recomend I am travelig with my mom that she is a senior citice (76 Years old). Please let me know all details.
by esther stein rate this post as useful

... 2006/4/29 18:37
Here is a starter:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2166.html

Then use the forum for specific questions.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Visit to Yokohama/kamakura 2006/5/23 00:14
I would recommend you stay in Yokohama for a minimum of 2 days. You need a good day for Kamakura and Yokohama has alot to offer including the largest China town in Japan.Yokohama is a good centre for visiting Mount Fuji and Kamakura and even Tokyo.
by John Farrow rate this post as useful

Yokohama and Kamakura 2006/5/23 08:29
"OK, I see. I guess in Kamakura we wanted to see the Bouddha and walk around town and by the beach - in Yokohama go to the skyscraper waterfront and the ferris wheel. That might be doable?"

Definitely do-able. Kamakura in the morning and Yokohama towards evening as the MM21 area is best enjoyed when the lights are on. I will write back with more info later. One suggestion though is to skip Nikko or the Fuji area and spend another day in Tokyo.
by qoo rate this post as useful

ok 2006/5/23 16:13
Here are some links about Tokyo and area to help you decide on what you might want to see.

http://www.tcvb.or.jp/en/index_en.htm

http://www.welcome.city.yokohama.jp/eng/tourism/

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~QM9T-KNDU/

http://www.kanagawa-kankou.or.jp/index-e.html

As I said before Kamakura and Yokohama cna be combined into one day with Kamakura in the morning, and the MM21 area of Yokohama in the evening. For supper I suggest Beer Next in the akarenga or red brick warehouses.

by qoo rate this post as useful

Getting to Kamakura/yokohama 2006/8/22 23:25
hi, planning to have day trip to both places, does JR pass fully covers the transport of getting there?
by Muffin Bear rate this post as useful

. 2006/8/22 23:29
Of getting there yes.
As long as you take JR - Japan Railways trains and not trains of other companies.
by rail rate this post as useful

possible? 2008/3/30 18:12
hi, sorry to interrupt your thread..

would like to ask you guys whether isit possible to explore kamakura in half a day? I will be leaving from tokyo station at around 1pm..
by Jeffrey rate this post as useful

Kamakura 2008/3/30 18:49
Jeffrey check the 2 messages by goo: yes you can do Kamakura in 1/2 day. You need to get a map and read a guidebook beforehand or you will get lost and miss whatever it is that you want to(or should)see. And don't do like friends of friends of mine who were super organized and had planned everything BUT never noticed that there are 2 JR Kamakura station, got off at the wrong one and spent hours trying to find their way around!
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

reply to this thread