Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Shimanami Kaido Cycling / Luggage 2023/9/24 22:38
Hey everyone,

I'm gearing up for a one-day cycling adventure along the Shimanami Kaido route, starting from Onomichi and aiming to reach Imabari. While I consider myself a beginner in long-distance cycling, I regularly cover 5 to 10km about four times a week.

I've decided to rent my bike from https://shimanami-cycle.or.jp/rental/english-reservation and plan to kick off my journey at 8 am, with the hope of arriving in Imabari by sunset.

I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any advice or experiences you can share:

1)For those who have taken on a similar journey, how challenging was it to reach Imabari? Were there any sections where you had to dismount and push your bicycle?

2) What was the average duration of your trip, factoring in rest stops?

3)Do they have water-filling stops along the way?

I'm contemplating cycling in sandals instead of boots, as they tend to be lighter. Additionally, I'm interested in arranging a same-day delivery of my belongings from Onomichi to Imabari. I don't have roller luggage, but I do have a day bag (55cm x 40cm) along with my boots.
https://www.sagawa-exp.co.jp/stc/english/

4) Is it possible to send my luggage from the same place where I'll be renting my bicycle?

5) Should I pack my boots together with my day bag as 1 package, or i can send both items for the same fee? or do they provide boxes for packing?

I'd really appreciate any insights or tips you can provide. Looking forward to this exciting adventure!
by chengs  

Re: Shimanami Kaido Cycling / Luggage 2023/9/25 08:05
Before embarking on a long ride like this one, try out a similar distance at home. Cycling 5 km regularly or cycling 100 km is a difference.

Regarding cycling in sandals I am all for it. Just make sure they are well fixed to your feet and have a sturdy sole.

Regarding pushing your bike, if you donft go on some of the gexcursionsh on the islands it should be fine. If you have to push the bike at most it will be a few minutes. Not thing to worry about.

Regarding water, I donft remember water fountains (but there might be some). However in Japan there are vending machines for drinks nearly everywhere. So nothing to worry about.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Shimanami Kaido Cycling / Luggage 2023/9/26 19:03
If i am unable to cycle further, is there bus to transport me to Imabari? but i will do my best!

reposting this to see if there is any tips :)
I'm interested in arranging a same-day delivery of my belongings from Onomichi to Imabari. I don't have roller luggage, but I do have a day bag (55cm x 40cm) along with my boots.
https://www.sagawa-exp.co.jp/stc/english/

4) Is it possible to send my luggage from the same place where I'll be renting my bicycle?

5) Should I pack my boots together with my day bag as 1 package, or i can send both items for the same fee? or do they provide boxes for packing?
by chengs rate this post as useful

Re: Shimanami Kaido Cycling / Luggage 2023/9/26 19:19
++ what happen if your bicycle break down on you mid-journey?
by chengs rate this post as useful

Re: Shimanami Kaido Cycling / Luggage 2023/9/26 19:29
Onomichi to imabari =72 km
Beside cycling,you can go by highway bus
You can go onomichi ekimae to innoshima ohashi by honshi bus kaihatsu,then highway bus hiroko kanko for imabari ekimae
You can take luggage in highway bus trip
by Kk manon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shimanami Kaido Cycling / Luggage 2023/9/26 23:32
1)For those who have taken on a similar journey, how challenging was it to reach Imabari? Were there any sections where you had to dismount and push your bicycle?
==> I did it in 2016, had no experience of biking whatsoever and stopped after around 50 km because my buddy was too tired. I dismounted in the slopes going up to the bridges (most of the times but not always)

2) What was the average duration of your trip, factoring in rest stops?
Started at 9, finished around 4 PM (but again, we did only +/- 50 km)

3)Do they have water-filling stops along the way?
Yes, don't worry about that. There are vending machines and shops. You can also stop at cafes, etc.

I don't know, I sent my baggage in advance.

Don't know either

And for your last question, if your bicycle breaks during your day, I remember there was a phone number to call. Anyhow the route is relatively frequented (in particular on week-ends and in the summer) so you should be able to get help easily. They also give you a map with the rest stops and places that can fix your bike.
by Vienna Logan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shimanami Kaido Cycling / Luggage 2023/9/27 18:12
I strongly recommend an electrical bike for this journey. Then have more energy for enjoying it!
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread