Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Should I base myself in Kumamoto for 6 nights 2023/10/3 00:03
I just arrived in Kumamoto for 3 nights and have a booking for 3 nights at a hostel in Beppu after this. I just finished getting out of the onsen at the hotel in Kumamoto and it made me realize I don't want to do an onsen in Beppu and have to sleep in a hostel after that, lol. 

'm wondering if it makes sense to just extend my time in Kumamoto for a total of 6 nights instead? I have a $40 budget per night for accommodations (though I might be willing to splurge $100 for my last night).

I'd like to check out some art museums. I would also like to see Amakusa and go to Misumi and ride the A-train but that seems like a whole day affair. I'm JR pass only - without a car. I have already been to Fukuoka and Kagoshima.

Any suggestions on where/how to spend the next 6 days? 

Thanks very much for your help.
by Frosti  

Re: Should I base myself in Kumamoto for 6 nights 2023/10/3 16:06
Hello!

Personally, I feel that 6 nights in Kumamoto is a little too much, and considering the rail connections surrounding Kumamoto, I'd prefer to reduce that number back to 3/4 nights, and instead staying at another hostel in either Nagasaki or Saga prefectures for the remaining 2/3 nights.

This is after taking into account your past visits to Fukuoka and Kagoshima prefectures, as well as your preference in using JR passes – Nagasaki and Saga prefectures are rather well-connected in terms of JR coverage, with the Nagasaki Shinkansen and other limited express trains available.

These two prefectures also offer a lot in terms of nature, culture, history, and activities – places like Nagasaki, Takeo Onsen, Ureshino Onsen, Yutoku Inari Shrine, and Yoshinogari are worth a visit.

Hope that helps :))
by Mizuno Jun rate this post as useful

Re: Should I base myself in Kumamoto for 6 nights 2023/10/3 16:53
There is literally no accommodation available in Nagasaki this weekend because of the festival. I will stay a 4th night in Kumamoto so that I have enough time to get to Amakusa but that still leaves me with 2 nights somewhere else (before going to Kurashiki for 3 nights).

Any suggestions with this new info?
by Frosti rate this post as useful

Re: Should I base myself in Kumamoto for 6 nights 2023/10/3 21:51
This weekend is still belongs to long public holidays in mainland China. South Korea and Taiwan has also public holiday.
by KyushuLocal rate this post as useful

Re: Should I base myself in Kumamoto for 6 nights 2023/10/4 06:55
I'd still go to Beppu. Just use it as a home location. Visit the surrounding areas like Yufuin for example.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I base myself in Kumamoto for 6 nights 2023/10/4 08:00
Given the new information, I'd suggest for you to go along with H's suggestion of seeking an accommodation in Oita prefecture – you might want to consider staying in a lower cost ryokan if you wish to experience the local onsens on a budget :)
by Mizuno Jun rate this post as useful

Re: Should I base myself in Kumamoto for 6 nights 2023/10/5 03:12
I suggest you consider seeing Nagasaki, as well as the often ignored little gem, Saga.
Nagasaki has loads of great places to see, and the food is excellent.
https://goo.gl/hZVjBi

Saga has a number of great places as well - one of the finest shrines in Japan - Yutoku Inari is there and is wonderful to visit. There is also Yoshinogari Historical Park, Arita Porcelain Park, Mifuneyama Rakuen, and Yoko Museum/Garden. Takeo Onsen is there too, and mostly known only to the locals.
https://goo.gl/dnqT25

But $40 a night (and I don't know which country's dollars you're talking about) as well as a hot spring is a rather tall order. Maybe stay at a cheap place and go to a hot spring as a day use is within budget.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I base myself in Kumamoto for 6 nights 2023/10/5 08:17
Hi Ken. I'm talking $40 USD.

Currently there is zero accommodation in Nagasaki below $100 this weekend.
by Frosti rate this post as useful

Re: Should I base myself in Kumamoto for 6 nights 2023/10/5 09:35
Not really surprising. Weekends can cost double weekday rates even in normal times. I suggest you get creative - see if you can find something nearby, such as in Isahaya City or Nagayo.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread