Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

Most recommended beach in Okinawa 2005/7/5 16:31
What are the most recommended beaches in Okinawa (either mainland or islands). I would like to try snorkling, watch whale and ride on underwater cruise. Any idea where I can do it all in an island? I understand it is time-consuming to travel from island to island.
Thanks
by Davis  

My favorite 2005/7/6 15:31
My first snorkeling in Okinawa was at Maeda Point an it was beautiful. The entry is little tricky but its beautiful, an make sure you wear gloves cause of the urchins. Otherwise anything past Nago was absolutley Beautiful. Try to stay alert around Ishigaki if you go there cause of the sea snakes, they like to see people an are very poisinous...
by Tony rate this post as useful

... 2005/7/7 08:29
Sea snakes don't bite humans even if you touch them. But don't do it! For that reason they are not dangerous to humans even though they are among the most poisonous snakes on earth.

You should be more alert about the habu jellyfish.
by Uji rate this post as useful

How about the beaches in Tokashiki 2005/7/7 09:55
I find out that the nearest beach resort from Naha, main land is Tokashiki. I want to try snorkling. Is there snorkling shop around there? Or any recommended snorkling areas/ shops near Naha. I will be flying via Naha
by Davis rate this post as useful

hi 2005/7/7 09:57
i mean snorkeling
by Davis rate this post as useful

beaches 2005/7/7 17:04
Kabira-wan (Kabira Bay) in Ishigaki Island is very famous for its glass bottom boat tours. Since the current is very quick, the bay is genuinely fit for glass bottom boats and not for swimming.

Also, ANY beach in Miyako Island is very clear and extremely beautiful with its coral and fish. Just a pair of pool goggles was enough for me to enjoy them. There are direct flights from Honshu to Miyako.

I'm not sure about snorkeling, but Taketomi Island, accesible by ferry from Ishigaki, is worth a visit. Try the waterbuffalo carriage tour (suigyu tour). Very laid-back. After that, you will still have time to rent a bicycle to give yourself a tour half around the island to the wide and shallow beach. The island was among the first to have flushable toilets in order to protect the sea, so no worry about that part.

Wherever you go, I assume you'll be renting a car. Ask the clerk for local recommendations. We were lucky to have a clerk who told us about a local beach up north Onna-son of Okinawa Mainland. I'm afraid I forgot the name of it, but it was mainly packed by local families and not tourists, had lots of shade and lots and lots of fish, although this beach experience was about a decade ago. The other info I've provided are proven to be up-to-date.
by Uco rate this post as useful

My gems 2005/8/25 23:17
The best place i have visited was Funauki Beach on Iriomote Island (Ferry from Okinawa to Ishigaki and then by boat to Iriomote). Go by bus to Shirahama which is the western end of the only road on the island. Funauki beach lies on the western side of a peninsula where you can go by boat from Shirahama. Then you have to cross the peninsula via a footpath for about 5 minutes and then you reach the beach. You can also rent a boat and go directly there.
Another nice spot is the Hoshizuna beach (the name comes from the star sand). There you can find a small camping place and a simple but good restaurant.
by Thomas rate this post as useful

how do you acess Irimoto? 2005/8/26 09:44
How to I access Irimoto via ferry?
Do you know where I can find the ferry schedule?
Where other beaches have Star-shaped 'sands'?
by Char rate this post as useful

... 2005/8/26 11:00
Here is access information for Iriomote:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7225.html

Ferry service is frequent. I think about one per hour.

Taketomi Ferry Times 2007/4/21 09:13
SO what are the times for the ferries to and mostly FROM Taketomi. Do they run at the same times to and from?
by Diana Poore rate this post as useful

... 2007/4/21 15:28
Here you go:
http://www.yaeyama.co.jp/timeta~1.htm

The column Ί_”­ refers to departures from Ishigaki. ’|•x”­ to departures from Taketomi.

... 2007/4/23 12:52
If you're going to Taketomi-jima, check out Kondoi beach. We were just there during low tide season so we had to go quite far out to swim but you might want to bring swimming shoes as there were quite a few sea cucumbers.

Yonehara beach on Ishigaki-jima was awesome for snorkelling. It can be accessed by bus but they only run every few hours so you might want to rent a car.

There were no habu jelly fish at this time of year. Apparently they come out when it's warmer around July-August. There are plenty of signs on the beach to warn you of them.
Have fun!
by beachlover rate this post as useful

... 2007/4/23 12:56
beachlover, how warm was the water? Were you there this April?

it was nice Uji 2007/4/24 09:10
It was about 25C and yup I just got back 2 days ago. The water was quite warm. Warmer in Ishigaki-jima than Naha.
There were quite a few people out swimming and snorkelling.
Oh and on Ishigaki, it is Mozuku season so the ladies were out picking up Mozuku for their year's supply. I'm from Canada so I can bare the cold so might be the wrong person to ask but we went in our bathing suit with no wetsuit. There was a bit of wind when we were there so it was actually warmer to stay in the water than stay on land.

Let's just say it was hot enough to get a sunburn after 2 hours. Are you thinking of going Uji?

... 2007/4/24 11:34
Yes, I have been before in September (still like in mid-summer) and early February (we hit a cold weather phase with strong winds - 15-18 degrees plus a considerable wind chill - and could not imagine to enter the water).

I have always been wondering from around when until around when it is pleasant for snorkeling and spending time at the beach. Reading your comments, it seems that April is already quite pleasant, at least on warm days.

I hope to visit Ishigaki and Miyako within the next 12 months, but have not decided the timing yet.

wow Uji 2007/4/25 14:49
that sounds like a nice plan!
I hope you have a great time.

okinawa's beach 2007/7/3 08:04
hi, as i'll be in okinawa islands around 15/20 of september,i really want to know best okinawa's beaches..and more than all best beaches without"habu jellyfish". are "Yaeyama Islands" really beautiful? how many days do you suggest to stay?
thanks ;)
by roby_nhood rate this post as useful

Ishigaki Beaches 2009/6/6 01:28
I live on Ishigaki island, which is part of Yaeyama. There are loads of fantastic beaches here.

If you want to snorkel then you should check out Yonehara as the reef begins within meters of the beach. Be careful of the rip currents however - signs indicate the areas of danger.

For a truly beautiful setting you should head out to Sunset Beach. It's a relatively unvisted location on the Hirakubo peninsula. There's some pictures here...

www.ishigaki-japan.com/beaches/sunset

Other than that, head over to Sukuji beach. Fusaki and Maezato beaches have nets if you are worried about jelly fish.
by RichardInJapan rate this post as useful

I heart Ishigaki 2009/6/6 09:05
Lucky you living on Ishigaki. I just got back from 5 days there and it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. We went to both Sukuji and Yonehara beaches and loved them- I'm actually reluctant to start telling people about Ishigaki because I don't ever want to see those beaches overdeveloped and overrun!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Tokashiki 2009/6/6 10:52
My favorite is Aharen Beach on Tokashiki. Great snorkeling and diving, glass-bottomed boat, sandy beach, town nearby, and beautiful scenery.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

reply to this thread