Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Rail Pass at unmanned train stations 2023/10/12 21:20
On my upcoming trip I know for sure there is one spot in Fukuoka that I want to go which has an unmanned train station (or at least it was unmanned previously when I was there in 2016), and was wondering how the Rail Pass works when using it. I've read that the newest rail passes can be used at the automated gates to get into the stations, but what happens if you then get off at a station without an automated gate? Will the system get confused? I would most likely be returning from that unmanned station to the same station I came from, so I would be scanning the card in and out at the same place, only hours in between. Not sure if that would be problematic.

Is there anything I should worry about when using the Rail Pass when going to an unmanned station?
by frippscratch  

Re: Rail Pass at unmanned train stations 2023/10/26 21:58
You should be fine. I'm in Japan now and did something very similar, going though stations with no gates to read paper tickets, through not unmanned ones. I just showed the pass to the attendant and they waved me through without checking the number or anything. There was no problem returning to the same station and scanning out.
by Zeggpold (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rail Pass at unmanned train stations 2023/10/26 22:28
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Rail Pass at unmanned train stations 2023/10/27 00:01
Thank you Zeggpold for confirmation that there are no problems even if you scan in and out at the same location with several hours in between. I was hoping this was the case.

And thank you Uco for the info about the simplified ticket gates - I didn't recall seeing one at the unmanned Uminonakamichi Station near Fukuoka when I was there in 2016, but when I checked Google Maps for that station just now, there are more recent photos which seem to show one of them available now. That should make things easier.
by frippscratch rate this post as useful

Re: Rail Pass at unmanned train stations 2023/10/27 07:49
The rail pass does not get confused. That is the case where there is no gate and you simply walk out the station. There are a few places where I had guests earlier this year passing through some very small stations.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread