Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Kyoto temple autumn illuminations 2023/10/18 12:22
With more than a dozen temples lighting up across Kyoto, it's hard to choose 2 or 3. What are your favorites and why?
by TPJapan  

Re: Kyoto temple autumn illuminations 2023/10/18 16:49
Hi! I've actually only been to one, but I've seen several others on social media, so I'll just share with you my experiences and opinion.

I visited the Kiyomizu-dera Autumn Light-Up in November 2019, and from what I remember, it was quite enjoyable (with no extra costs aside from the entrance fees).

I'm not sure which temples and shrines have them this year, but from my understanding, To-ji, Byodo-in (Uji), and Fushimi Inari Taisha have rather spectacular lightings. You can try to see if they are still available this year.

Hope that helps :))
by Mizuno Jun rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto temple autumn illuminations 2023/10/18 21:16
Eikan-do!
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto temple autumn illuminations 2023/10/18 22:48
Lighting up Kiyomizu-dera Temple is my favorite!

"The autumn scenery of Kiyomizu-dera itself is of course beautiful but it's not as outstanding as that of other places, such as Eikan-do or some temples in Takao." That WAS my initial impression.

However, in the case of the illumination, it was a different story. When they illuminated Kiyomizu-dera, I was so impressed and thought it IS so special because of the three-dimensionality of the view, despite the crowd. I especially adore the view from below the "stage."
by Stip (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread