Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Suggested Itinerary 2023/10/26 16:32
Hi,

This December I'm heading to Japan for the first time. I'll be in Japan for 23 days and travelling solo.

I was hoping to get some advice as to possible activities/destinations, perhaps a little off the beaten path.

My rough itinerary at this point is Tokyo - Jigokudani Yaen Koen - Kanagawa - Osaka - Kyoto - Hiroshima.
I'm also considering Okinawa, but not sure if there is enough to justify the additional travel at this time of year.

I'd be open to most things, but I'd be keen to experience unusual/quirky/different workshops or activities.

Also conscious that I've nothing north of Tokyo, so any suggestions around that would be brilliant.

thanks!
by JimmyChick  

Re: Suggested Itinerary 2023/10/26 18:41
Hi! I believe you'll be largely travelling along the Tokaido and Sanyo route, so I'll be suggesting some places to drop by for half-day/day trips in between the destinations stated in your itinerary.

Nagoya/Inuyama – before you reach Kyoto, you can consider dropping by Nagoya and Inuyama for a day trip. Quite a handful of castles and other cultural monuments worth visiting.

Hikone/Omihachiman – Hikone castle and Genkyuen are worth a half-day visit, and is also a short walk away from Biwako. I'm not too sure what's exactly in Omihachiman but it was a destination that I would like to visit.

Kobe – Famous for being a port city with western influence and its Chinatown.

Himeji – Known for its white castle. Worth a half-day visit

Okayama/Kurashiki – Okayama castle, Gorakuen, and Kurashiki Bikan Area are worth dropping by.

Onomichi – Famous for its shrines along a hill, as well as the Setouchi Area.

Hope that helps :))
by Mizuno Jun rate this post as useful

Re: Suggested Itinerary 2023/10/27 08:28
If you want to see Jigokudani, it is really not a day trip from Tokyo - it is really an overnighter. Nagano City also has some very good sights. I suggest you see Kanagawa as a day trip from Tokyo, and after Nagano, go see Kanazawa en route to Kansai. It is not the best season to go, but it is better than not going at all.
For Kansai, be sure to add in Nara - the Nara Park area has some of the country's best sights.
I also suggest you make Hiroshima an overnight trip from Kansai, and not a day trip. Sadly, most people do the latter, and there is enough for 2 days to fit in for Hiroshima City, Miyajima, and maybe even Iwakuni as well. As for Okinawa, it is not the best time of year either, but it depends on your travel pace, interests, and if you might go to Japan again some day soon. You could spend several good days on the main island alone, or more if you add others like Ishigaki or Miyakojima. JAL has some good inter-island fares as part of its Explorer Fare for cheap flights.
https://is.gd/Wk3FZF
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread