Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Autumn and driving around the Japan Alps 2023/10/29 03:17
I am thinking about an autumn trip next year to the Central Alps region, targeting mid/late Oct into early Nov.

I've been to Kanazawa, Takayama, Shirakawa-go, and Matsumoto before by public transport in the spring and I am thinking we want to drive this time.

I am wondering if driving is okay for this area during this time of year? Just take it slow if the road gets narrow or is winding? I have driven in Okinawa for 3 days and Hakodate for 1, but those weren't mountainous routes.

I am thinking of taking 9-10 days for:
rental car from Nagano, stay in Hakuba or Omachi x 3 nights (Happo-One pond hike, Alpine route to top and back), Hirayu onsen x 2 nights (Kamikochi and Shin-hotaka), Takayama x 2 nights (Takayama itself, Shirakawa-go), Kurobe x 1 night (Kurobe Gorge), back to Nagano to return car and stay x 2 nights (Jigokudani Monkeys or Karuizawa).

Probably after that, we would take the train down to Kofu, stopping by Matsumoto if we didn't already earlier, pick up another rental car to spend around the Mt Fuji Kawaguchiko area for 3-4 nights. We would be here the first few days of November and I think we might be slightly early for peak momiji in a typical year, but the priority for the trip would be the colors in the Alps.

What do you all think? Thoughts?
by jolinn  

Re: Autumn and driving around the Japan Alps 2023/10/29 18:22
Sounds pretty good, I would also throw in Kiso Valley for later in the trip instead of Kawaguchiko, Kiso Fukushima is good as a base and the hikes there are very nice.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn and driving around the Japan Alps 2023/10/29 23:40
Driving is no problem. Just take it slow and check what kind of driving license you need to be able to rent a car in Japan.
Yes, some roads are small... but they are passable. Yes, there are some VERY VERY small roads as well... but those are best left to us cyclists and for car users there are other slightly bigger (or much bigger) roads to travel on.
Your plan overall sounds good... although I didn't check it in detail.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn and driving around the Japan Alps 2023/10/30 00:51
I will be in the Kiso Valley as a day trip next month actually. Prioritizing Mt Fuji at the end because someone in my group has never been. Plus, I've only been as a day trip from Tokyo, would be nice to see the area for longer and also by car. I figured Kofu is decently connected to Nagano/Matsumoto and Tokyo by limited express trains.

Another option for the end would perhaps be Nikko, still haven't been there yet.
by jolinn rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn and driving around the Japan Alps 2023/11/3 02:39
Looking to get more feedback on my itinerary now that I have made flight arrangements (I tend to book award travel a year in advance):

10/22: arrive afternoon, overnight Tokyo
10/23: day in Tokyo, overnight Tokyo
10/24: train to Nagano, pick up rental car, overnight in Hakuba or Omachi
10/25: Tateyama Kurobe Alpine route, overnight in Hakuba or Omachi
10/26: Happo-One pond gondola and hike, overnight in Hakuba or Omachi
10/27: over to Kamikochi, overnight in Hirayu Okuhida onsen
10/28: Shin-hotaka area, overnight in Hirayu Okuhida onsen
10/29: over to Takayama, overnight Takayama
10/30: Shirakawa-go/Gokayama, overnight Takayama
10/31: Takayama in morning, drive over to Toyoma or Kurobe and overnight there
11/1: Kurobe Gorge, then drive back towards Nagano and return car in evening, overnight Nagano
11/2: explore Nagano area and Jigokudani Monkey Park, overnight in Nagano
11/3: over to Matsumoto, then over to Kofu for car rental pick-up and drive to Mt Fuji area, overnight Fuji Five Lakes
11/4: Mt Fuji
11/5: Mt Fuji
11/6: Mt Fuji
11/7: return rental car to Kofu, and train back to Tokyo, flight out

Re: Autumn and driving around the Japan Alps 2023/11/3 06:28
Overall a very good itinerary but 4 nights in Fuji area seems to be an overkill. What do you plan to do there? I mean you can obviously spend there even more time if you are into honking or cycling or day camping … but as a “normal” tourist that seems an overkill. Going to Hakone could be an option but in Hakone a car can be an obstacle.
Or 2 days in Izu peninsula but I wouldn’t want to return the car in Kofu then.
Or maybe just more days in Tokyo at the end?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn and driving around the Japan Alps 2023/11/3 06:47
Yes, you're right Fuji for that long is overkill. I re-did it to be in Tokyo for 4 nights at the end and will do day trips from there, allows for flexibility if there is poor weather and we can utilize the Tokyo Wide Pass.

10/22: arrive afternoon, overnight Tokyo
10/23: day in Tokyo, overnight Tokyo
10/24: train to Nagano, pick up rental car, overnight in Omachi
10/25: Tateyama Kurobe Alpine route, overnight in Omachi
10/26: Happo-One pond gondola and hike, overnight in Omachi
10/27: over to Kamikochi, overnight in Hirayu Okuhida onsen
10/28: Shin-hotaka area, overnight in Hirayu Okuhida onsen
10/29: over to Takayama, overnight Takayama
10/30: Shirakawa-go/Gokayama, overnight Takayama
10/31: Takayama in morning, drive over to Toyoma or Kurobe and overnight there
11/1: Kurobe Gorge, then drive back towards Nagano and return car in evening, overnight Nagano
11/2: daytrip to Matsumoto, overnight in Nagano
11/3: Jigokudani Monkey Park, then train to Tokyo in evening, overnight Tokyo
11/4: Tokyo day trips (Nikko, Mt Fuji, Izu Peninsula, Karuizawa, etc.)
11/5: Tokyo day trips
11/6: Tokyo day trips
11/7: Tokyo shopping, flight out in afternoon

Re: Autumn and driving around the Japan Alps 2023/11/3 06:51
I think with this updated itinerary, I would be leaving out Kiso Valley and skipping Kanazawa because we went earlier this year. Any off the beaten path places that others have been to in the area?

Re: Autumn and driving around the Japan Alps 2023/11/3 08:51
Off the beaten path… the following comes to mind:
- Obuse (Hokusai art museum…)
- Shibu onsen
- glass art museum in Toyama
- Bessho onsen
- Karuizawa
- Kusatsu onsen (not really off the beaten track but if you hold on to the car from Nagano for a day could be nice)
- Ainokura (definitely instead of Shirakawago)
- castle and park in Komoro

Maybe you find some other inspirations on my blog: http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/search/label/Nagano?m=1
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn and driving around the Japan Alps 2023/11/3 09:47
Since you are at Nagano, can consider visiting Togakushi Shrine. Its a lovely place and convenient with a car
by whalesings (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn and driving around the Japan Alps 2023/11/4 04:44
Anyone have experience staying in Hakuba or Omachi? We obviously wouldn't be there to ski but not sure if that makes a difference.

Also, before our Kurobe Gorge day, was looking to stay nearby. Should I stay in Toyama itself? Is Kurobe sleepy? Or perhaps Unazuki onsen?

reply to this thread