Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Japan Trip in July: Transport Tips? 2023/10/30 08:09
Hello!

I'm planning a trip to Japan for my honeymoon in July, and I'm in the process of preparing for the journey. We're looking for the most cost-effective and comfortable travel options, but understanding how the transportation system works can be quite challenging.

Our itinerary so far is as follows:

July 10th (Wednesday): We'll arrive at Narita Airport at 6 PM and stay in Tokyo.
July 11th: Travel from Tokyo to Kanazawa in the morning, where we'll spend the day.
July 12th: Move from Kanazawa to Kyoto in the morning.
July 13th, 14th: Explore Kyoto.
July 15th: Travel from Kyoto to Nara, spend the day there, and then head to Osaka in the evening.
July 16th, 17th: Explore Osaka.
July 18th: Go from Osaka to Hiroshima and visit Miyajima Island (we're unsure if we can return to Osaka on the same day or if we need to stay in Hiroshima or on Miyajima Island) (1?).
July 19th: Return from Osaka to Tokyo.
July 20th to 24th: Spend the remaining days in Tokyo, with plans for at least a day trip (possibly staying overnight) to Hakone and maybe another day trip to a different destination while in Tokyo.
July 25th (Thursday): Our flight departs from Narita at 8 PM.
We've already purchased our flights, and before booking hotels, we'd like to purchase (or at least get an idea of) tickets between the cities. The JR Rail Pass is quite expensive, and it doesn't cover all our destinations.

At the moment, we're considering getting a 'JR West All Area Pass' or 'Hokuriku Arch Pass' as we believe it will cover us until Osaka. But we're uncertain if one of these passes will take us all the way from the airport to Osaka (even if we buy more than one pass to cover the days). (2?)

We're not sure about the best (quality/price) transport from Osaka to Tokyo (it doesn't seem like there's a pass for this). (3?)

We're also unsure if there's any pass that would allow us to move around Tokyo by public transport, including going to Hakone and possibly other daily destinations that we see on tourist websites. (4?)

It's important for us that, if we buy any passes for traveling in Tokyo, they would at least get us to the airport.

We're used to walking a lot when we travel, but we've never been to Tokyo, and we're not sure if it's possible to spend several days there without having to use transport.

Your assistance and insights are invaluable to us. We genuinely appreciate your help.
THANK YOU!! :)
by ICarpi  

Re: Japan Trip in July: Transport Tips? 2023/10/30 17:29
Congratulations on your wedding!

'JR West All Area Pass' or 'Hokuriku Arch Passf

JR Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass is cheaper (17000 yen as compared to the 26000 yen All Area Pass) and enough for you travel.
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_hiroshima/

You can use this pass from July 15th to 19th.

Hokuriku Arch Pass

This pass is valid for 7 consecutive days so it is not suitable for you itinerary. Just buy single base fare tickets from Tokyo to Kyoto (via Kanazawa) and Osaka to Tokyo plus the shinkansen tickets (from Tokyo to Kanazawa and Osaka to Tokyo).

By the way, it will be very hot and humid in all the place you will visit in July. The bright side is that this is the Japanfs most famous festival season in Kyoto.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Trip in July: Transport Tips? 2023/10/30 17:42
Hallo Icarpi.... yes, congratulations on your wedding....
I don't want to scare anyone, but 3 years ago my two adult children and I wanted to do an itinerary almost identical to yours, we bought the necessary passes, after 5 days in Tokyo, with the heat and huge rain we went to Osaka, unfortunately the rains increased, so did the heat and we were stuck at the Osaka railway station because the trains couldn't leave.... at the end of the story we took a taxi to Kyoto and spent another 20 days without being able to go anywhere (Hiroshima, Mijajima, Fukuoka etc) was terrible...
I hope with all my heart that it is not too hot and that there is not too much rain....but if you can change the date....autumn is very beautiful....
by pirataurbano rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Trip in July: Transport Tips? 2023/10/30 18:30
Congratulations on your wedding

I think you said you already bought the flight, so there is now little to do about the heat. And it will be hot. Hot and humid.

I find your itinerary too stressful even at normal times and with the heat even more so. Ifd delete approximately 3-4 destinations and reduce change in hotels. Eg Osaka / Kyoto, just stay in Kyoto.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Trip in July: Transport Tips? 2023/10/31 02:57
It's do-able, but too busy in my opinion - especially for first timers.
And moving(changing) hotels so frequently is very inconvenient.
I suggest staying in Tokyo for the first several or more days.
You can do day-trips from Tokyo to nearby places, even to Kanazawa using Shinkansen (I have done that on 2 trips). You can do a day-trip to Hakone, too. I would stay in Hakone only if you want to experience the Onsen Ryokan.
For western Japan, stay in one place like Osaka and do day-trips to Kyoto, Nara, Kobe, Himeji, Hiroshima, Miyajima, etc.
For an itinerary like that (stay in Tokyo and Osaka, and do lots of day-trips riding Shinkansen almost everyday), you can consider a 2-wk JR Pass. And stay near Shinkansen train stations.

by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Trip in July: Transport Tips? 2023/10/31 09:22
Not too rushed. I would do that trip on single tickets.
Consider cutting one or two days from Tokyo, add more time in Kyoto, do Nara as a daytrip without going to Osaka the same day. Also consider doing Hiroshima after Kanazawa and staying two nights there before working your way back north.
While it can be hot, some people enjoy summer (myself included).
And, I don't know why one of the pp's said they could go anywhere for 20 days - that certainly is not the case that the rail network shut down for three weeks.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread