Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Applying for WHV with minor speeding offence 2023/10/31 07:38
I am applying for a working holiday visa for Japan. One of the questions in the application form is ghave you ever been convicted of a crime or offence in any country?h

I have a minor speeding offence which was resolved with a fixed penalty and 3 points on my license. However I believe this is not classed as a criminal offence so my question is do I need to answer yes to this question on the form?

I donft want to not mention it and then it become a bigger issue if it is found out but also I donft want to mention it if I donft need to as it might lead to unnecessary issues. Anyone have any advice?
by Tomwood (guest)  

Re: Applying for WHV with minor speeding offence 2023/10/31 21:54
When did you get the speeding penalty?

I think speeding offences donft really count after 5 years.

I had a friend who had an offence after a drunken bar fight in their own country but didnft mention it on their WHV application and everything was fine. They have lived here for over 5 years. Of course Ifm not telling you what to do but so what you want with that information.

Good luck!
by mycatslovewagyu rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for WHV with minor speeding offence 2023/11/1 05:36
If you want to do things by the book, call the embassy and ask them. The wording "crime OR offence" is pretty vague. Is a civil offence something they also want you to mention? Just ask.

And FYI, there is no question of how much time has elapsed since the crime/conviction. The question is "have you ever", not "have you in the last X years". So if you have ever, whether it was one, five, ten or a hundred years ago, if you have ever in your lifetime been convicted of what they consider to be an offence then the answer is yes and will be for the rest of your life. Japan doesn't recognise spent convictions, purged records, etc. They want to know if something happened to you in the past and are not interested in the details beyond that.
by l (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for WHV with minor speeding offence 2023/11/1 09:18
it may depend on countries.
by the way,
in Japan, over-speeding more than 30 km/h on general roads or more than 40 km/h on highways are crimes. and, even though a crime, in most cases, the penalty is money paying. money penalty does not mean it is a minor violation.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for WHV with minor speeding offence 2023/11/2 10:41
In this case if it's a minor speeding offense, you'd probably be fine. I mean, look how many people in Japan get pulled over for speeding tickets, lol. It's not like you're committing a huge crime with drugs or anything serious.

Just imagine reading over someone's application at immigration and they go "oh this person got pulled over for speeding, grrrrrr... How dare they break a minor violation?! Rejected!" That would honestly be super silly.

Just apply and see how it goes.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread