Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Hakone free pass 2 days from Shinjuku price 2023/11/2 19:28
The official site mentions the price for the 2 day pass from Shinjuku as 6100 Yen per adult. However, when I try to purchase the digital ticket on the official website on my smartphone, the price shows as 4270 Yen per adult on a weekday and 4880 Yen per adult on a weekend. Is this lower price correct because of some discount? or am I reading something wrong? I am happy about the lower price, but just wanted to be sure I am not booking anything wrong :)
by Aditya Proddutoor (guest)  

Re: Hakone free pass 2 days from Shinjuku price 2023/11/3 09:30
Are you trying to purchase the pass on an app called EMOT? They seem to have some discount from Kanagawa Prefecturefs rail travel promotion, only for the digital version (not available for the paper version).

https://www.emot.jp/service/detail/digital_hakonefreepass_kanagawa_ind...

I cannot find the English page for this one.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone free pass 2 days from Shinjuku price 2023/11/3 09:40
Currently, "Kanagawa Railway Discounti‚©‚È‚ª‚í“S“¹Š„j" is applied, so that amount is correct.
From Shinjuku: 4,270 yen on weekdays, 4,880 yen on weekends and holidays
[Kanagawa Railway Discount] will be applied to the Digital Hakone Free Pass currently on sale at EMot.
Up to 1,950 yen off on weekdays and up to 1,300 yen off on weekends and holidays! it is written like this.
October 2, 2023 (Monday) 7:00 to January 31, 2024 (Wednesday) 23:59 (scheduled)
*The campaign will end as soon as the budget is reached. It is written.
For more information, please translate this URL using translation software.
https://www.emot.jp/service/detail/digital_hakonefreepass_kanagawa_ind...
"Kanagawa Railway Discount" is a campaign that offers discounts on railway passes and other items to increase the number of tourists visiting Kanagawa Prefecture. Perhaps other prefectures still offer similar discounts. Since the time when the coronavirus has subsided (around 2020 or 2021), similar campaigns have been held in each prefecture.
https://www.kanagawa-kankou.or.jp/?p=we-page-entry&spot=494445&type=sp...;
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone free pass 2 days from Shinjuku price 2023/11/3 16:17
Dear AK and haro1210, thank you so much for sharing the information and the link! Very useful :)
by Aditya Proddutoor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone free pass 2 days from Shinjuku price 2023/11/4 22:58
I apologize for jumping into this thread. I plan to travel from Shinjuku Station to Hakone-Yumoto Station on Friday, 24 Nov. I will spend 2 nights in Hakone area and then return to Shinjuku on Sunday, 26 Nov. I would like to purchase the "Digital Hakone Pass 2 days" for departure from Shinjuku on Friday from EMOT. Should I choose the "Weekdays 2 days Hakone Area + Odakyu Line Round Trip Ticket" at JPY 4,270? or the "Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays 2 days - Hakone Area + Odakyu Line Round Trip Ticket" at JPY 4,880?

I tried to purchase the "[Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays] Hakone Pass" but the date in the calendar on EMOT site is greyed out and the EMOT site does not allow me to proceed. My concern is that I won't be able to use the pass in Hakone if I purchase the Weekdays pass since I will spend Saturday and Sunday in Hakone Area. Thank you in advance.
by Kotz rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone free pass 2 days from Shinjuku price 2023/11/5 00:01
To Kotz,

if you are staying in Hakone for 2 nights and are returning to Shinjuku, I recommend that you get the 3-day version. since your "departure date" is a Friday, weekday, you should buy the "weekday" version. (The instruction says "select either the weekend or the weekday version based on your starting date".)

Having said that, since Nov. 23rd is a national holiday in Japan, I don't know if the "weekday" version applies to that date.

Re: Hakone free pass 2 days from Shinjuku price 2023/11/5 00:04
PS,

I meant to say you should get the "3-day version from Shinjuku." That one includes the base fare for the rides from/to Shinjuku on non-limited express trains. (If you want to ride the "romance car" = limited express, you'd need to pay just the supplemental charge for the limited express.)

Re: Hakone free pass 2 days from Shinjuku price 2023/11/5 01:16
Hi AK,
Thank you very much for the prompt feedback. I forgot that 23 Nov is a public holiday in Japan. I will get the 3-day pass then as per your advice.

Another question if I may, is it feasible to visit the Fuji Five Lakes (mainly to Lake Kawaguchi) for several hours from Hakone-Yumoto and then return to Hakone-Yumoto on the same day? Thank you.

Re: Hakone free pass 2 days from Shinjuku price 2023/11/5 01:22
Sorry, Thursday 23 Nov 2023 is a public holiday, but I will leave Shinjuku Station on Friday, 24 Nov 2023. Is that Friday also a public holiday? I already have the Romance Car supplement/reservation for Friday, 24 Nov 2023.

Re: Hakone free pass 2 days from Shinjuku price 2023/11/5 05:32
@Kotz, no, only the Thursday is a public holiday
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone free pass 2 days from Shinjuku price 2023/11/5 11:27
Kotz,
Sorry if my comment was misleading. I mean to say that since THursday, Nov. 23 is a holiday, i wasnft sure if the ticket seller considered the Friday as part of a gholiday weekend,h as many people would want to take a day off on Friday.
Going by their rule, you should get the weekday version, as your starting date is a regular weekday.

About going to Lake Kawaguchi and returning to Hakone - I have not done it myself, but I have read somewhere on this Japan Guide that there is a bus that connects Hakone and Lake Kawaguchi (it leaves from Gora, a bit gup the mountainsh from Hakone-Yumoto), but that that bus ride itself takes over one hour and it is not that frequent.
So if you want to visit both Lake Kawaguchi and Hakone on one trip, it might be better go to Shinjuku - Hakone - Lake Kawaguchi - Shinjuku, instead of making a round trip from Hakone to Lake Kawaguchi, which would uproot your itinerary completely.

Re: Hakone free pass 2 days from Shinjuku price 2023/11/5 21:04
Hi LikeBike & AK,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I proceeded to buy the digital 3-day Hakone Pass (Weekday). The purchase from EMOT site was successful and it seems everything went well. I only need to activate the pass when I am ready to travel on day 1.

@ AK, thank you for the feedback on potential trip to Lake Kawaguchiko. Seems my schedule is too tight if to include this side excursion. I will save it for future visit to Japan. I have been to Japan and the country is so beautiful with many places to visit. For sure I will return and hopefully in not too long time. Thank you again.

reply to this thread