Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Train travel question 2023/11/8 18:37
We're considering taking a half day visit while travelling by train (either between Tokyo and Kyoto between Kyoto and Hiroshima or between Hiroshima and Osaka).
Is it possible to do this on the same train ticket or do we have to buy separate tickets. In Europe, we have often been able to get off and visit a city and then continue our journey on the same train line using the same ticket. Once we did an overnight stay before continuing.
We are not planning on buying the JR pass so we'll be buying each train ticket separately. On the other hand, we don't want to travel on a train that stops at every station along the way.
I haven't been able to find an answer to my question on the official sites.
Thanks.
by ninada  

Re: Train travel question 2023/11/9 06:32
Yes, getting on and off trains along a train ride is possible with base fare tickets that cover more than 100 kilometers. However, if you travel on shinkansen or limited express trains along the way, separate additional supplement tickets are required for these sections.

On longer distances, this way of travel can also be cheaper than buying separate base fare tickets for all sections. Some of it is explained in this video:
https://youtu.be/Wol9TPqVl7w?feature=shared&t=324
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Train travel question 2023/11/13 23:23
Thanks. The whole train ticket situation is a little confusing now to say the least. (I also read the comments and I'm not the only one!) I guess I'll have to do a lot of research and hopefully come up with the right combination of tickets.
I found out that one of my favorite train sites for Europe (The Man in Seat 61) has an entire (very detailed) section on Japan. Hopefully, I'll find the answers to my questions there.
by ninada rate this post as useful

reply to this thread