Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

No language schools accept my age 2023/11/26 15:28
Im 14 and currently in a public school in Japan, 2nd year of junior high. I moved here about a month ago due to a family health emergency, and my family has no intentions of moving back to the United States. I have been in school since practically as soon as I got here and I am extremely stressed. All of my teachers expect me to follow along in textbooks, take tests, and write papers. I feel like it should be obvious that I just got here and can barely talk in Japanese, let alone read and write. I really think that I wouldnft have as much of a hard time in a language school, so I searched far and wide and none of them accept anybody my age. All I am finding are camps, but I want a school, not a camp. What should I do?? I am also currently in Kobe, if that could be of any use. Thank you
by Ash (guest)  

Re: No language schools accept my age 2023/11/27 09:39
Ash,

I am sorry to hear of your difficulties - if you are age 14, what grade are you in? Since up to 9th grade is mandatory education, the teachers might just be pushing to get you to complete the junior high. But they should be providing you with language support.

Rather than trying to find a Japanese language school (indeed they are intended for those who have completed senior high school and want to learn the language), you or your parents will need to look for (1) language support for non-Japanese speaking students in school, or (2) so-called international school, meaning the classes are conducted in English or at least bilingual.

For (1), please see here: Kobe City does provide some support services. I assume your parent(s) speak Japanese? Ask them to take you to the city/ward hall to ask about it:
https://www.city.kobe.lg.jp/documents/49760/hirobaenglish.pdf

For (2), there is a list here:
https://www.alljapanrelocation.com/living-guides/international-schools...
I see just a few that covers up to 8th or 12th grade, but one might work for you.
Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: No language schools accept my age 2023/11/27 10:03
the necessity for you is not language school, but ŠwKm, tutoring school, which teaches you both of language and school subjects.
if you google with the words, "ŠO‘l‘Ώہ@m@_ŒË", you can find some.
for example,
https://www.city.kobe.lg.jp/documents/7444/r5_pdf.pdf
https://www.hyogo-ip.or.jp/torikumi/tabunkakyose/search/child/index.ht...

in general, education for minors is considered as parent's responsibility in Japan. your parents must make actions at first.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: No language schools accept my age - - About your higher ed (tech school, college, university, et 2023/11/27 19:55
Most foreign language dominant (you mentioned the US, so youfre probably English educated?) seek post high school education where they can study and make friends in the language theyfre most comfortable.
Getting good grades as well as making a good impression to those who could write letters of reference (recommending you to the school or job you want could make a world of difference for you! Youfre at a big disadvantage trying to study any new and difficult language (such as Japanese) where even the alphabet is probably new to you and is actually much, much more complicated than our rather simple English alphabet.
Consider contacting the these entities to get information on where you might be able to get any sort of financial and educational assistance to attend school in English while in Japan for low or no cost. Itfs a matter of, if you donft check, youfll never know. Put yourself out there because things may just fall into place and make what may seem difficult or impossible become possible. Write down your objectives and your familyfs financial ability (if your family has you in Japanese public school because they are unable to pay for a private, English language education while youfre in Japan). Importantly, Japan has a fascinating and truly amazing, culture and history. And the Japanese language is a beautiful language that can provide you insight into yourself, Japan, the Japanese and the world. but for the short term, and by the short term, in this context, getting you through middle school, high school in on to, and through higher education it would seem to be the goal. It may not seem like g the short termg to you., But in terms of your entire life, it is very much only the short term to get you to a happy, satisfying and productive life of forever learning, which is the best kind of learning, and it usually happens after youfre done with all the education that you can get under your belt. Get all the education you possibly can. And in furtherance of that goal, do everything you can to achieve getting the best education you can day after day, month, after month, and ultimately for the rest of your life.

1. US Embassy in Tokyo or a nearby US Consulate (other English speaking countries embassyfs, consulates may also have useful info for you, e.g., Australia, New Zealand, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, etc. (And any other languages you might be fluent in.)
2. US Chamber of Commerce
3. Catholic and other religious school where the curriculum is taught in English. The religious schools are often much less expensive than, for example, the gAmerican School in Japanh.
4. What resources does your family have so that you could be educated in English, if that is what you would like to do and what is best for you while you are in Japan, for either the short or long term.
5. Contact your church, synagogue, temple, for example, to find out what guidance they can provide you on how to get into and pay for an education in the language that you are going to use in higher education.

If your current and future education is and will continue to be in Japanese, youfll undoubtedly need help to learn to read, write and communicate in Japanese. You may be able to find out the same sort information for studying in English – – but in Japanese in Japan. Youfre not the first, nor the only person whofs been stuck in your position where the language that youfre used to use is no longer the language that school is taught in. There are many people, both parents and children who have had to move from their country to Japan, as well as to many other countries many of which are far less democratic, interesting or technologically and scientifically advanced. There are far worse countries that you could end up in for your ninth grade and beyond. Check out anime, matcha, flower arranging, emote, judo, aikido, kendo, pottery, science, medical techniques, hJa-powh (Japanfs tremendous skiing in dry powder snow) just for a tiny bit of what you can do and learn in Japan! For now and in the long term, you are actually, really and definitely in a fortunate situation. But before you ask yourself, what could possibly be lucky about the situation youfre in when you feel so frustrated, and like you had the rug pulled out from under you, remember this: what is. We each, and all of us make our own luck. Because gluckh is what you make for yourself after working very, very hard and then, it just seems to fall into place and thatfs what others call gluckh and thatfs when you realize that you made lemonade, out of lemons. Or how everything turned out really for the best after you found yourself feeling like you were stuck, yanked out of the United States and dumped into a Japanese language school in Japan. In life, itfs all hardwork. Youfll find that we each create our own opportunities. I hope you and your parents know that these suggestions are tiny and are less than a thimble full of ideas and opportunities that are potentially waiting just for you. Try hard, work hard and donft let any opportunity go by without your having tried your best.

The Japanese have a term that is used it all over the place: ggahm batftéh, (if you havenft heard this term already, youfre sure to hear it soon enough. Itfs basically a good natured saying intended to encourage into and to cheer you on. Youfll hear it whether youfre playing sports or studying for final exams (or even learning Japanese) and it means to try hard! And trying hard to the Japanese means to try your best. Itfs very much in the Japanese way of life to try hard and try your best and to do so for as long as it takes to succeed in whatever it is that youfre trying to do. So, if youfre willing to learn, Japan, the Japanese people and the language itself have so much to share with you and to teach you!

Have you tried watching NHK online or on TV? Online, Itfs in English and some 17 languages. NHK also has Japanese language lessons. Itfs Japanfs very interesting public broadcasting system, but online. Youfll see how different people from various countries have found interesting and wonderful lives in Japan in both the cities as well the rural countryside.

These suggestions are only to give you some direction, some ideas and greater incentive to - - and this is very important: To do these and more, but, only after youfve discussed all this and more with your parent, guardian or other person, or persons, responsible for your care and education, and then, with their approval, to plan, and work together so you can get a good education in the least frustrating and most educational and beneficial way for you to be happy, healthy, and successful in your current and future life.

BTW, in case you hadnft guessed already, some of my experiences have been similar to yours. so Ifve taken some three hours to hopefully give you and your loved ones some ideas and some support in that others, including me, have had similar educational challenges in foreign countries. No matter where we are, we have to do whatever it takes to do well in class and in exams. We each have to make sure we have learned all materials that will probably be on the exams that we face. We each take our own exams alone. Ultimately, we must each learn, and therefore know what we need to know for quizzes, tests, oral and written examsc.and even life situations. Itfs true whether we are in the ninth grade (about 12 or 13 years old?) and whether we turn 23, 33, 43, 53 or whatever age we become. Such.
by A B (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: No language schools accept my age 2023/11/28 04:11
Ash,

As suggested, either your current school or your municipal (city) should be taking care of your difficulties.

Have you tried talking to your English-language teacher at your school?

If you did and that didn't work, talk to KICC. They can discuss your issues in English language. You can either tell your parents to call them or you can call by yourself. Their contact is shown near the bottom of the link where it says "Inquiry".
https://www.kicc.jp/en/aboutkicc

Try it, and if you still have problems, let us know. You're not alone.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread