Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Best 5G flip phone for USA and Japan 2023/12/18 09:08
Hello! I will going on a long term trip in Japan for a semester (6 months) and was wondering what flip phones are available to be used with 4G or 5G preferable compatibility.

I don't mind unlocking them but I like the look of the ones with the keypad buttons and come in cute colors and since I'll be moving back to America after a while I wanted it to be functional even after.

Any tips? I've seen similar questions to this before but those were a few years back and was wondering if there may be more options now.

I need to be able to text, take pictures, groupchat compatibility and maybe download a few apps like Whatsapp. I also need at least 15+ gb with maybe a card option and is nanosim compatible.
by Annie Mahmoud (guest)  

Re: Best 5G flip phone for USA and Japan 2023/12/18 18:53
Though Japan stuck with flip phones with physical buttons (generally called "garakei" in Japan) for longer than most other countries, even Japan has now moved on to almost exclusively touchscreen phones, with iPhones having a very large market share.

The Japanese company P-Up World released a new flip smartphone with physical buttons called the Mode 1 Retro II this past October. It's a 4G SIM-free phone that runs on Android 13 OS. No broth colors. though, just black or white on the outside edges and metallic gold on the inside ones.

I also personally prefer the feel of flip phones with physical buttons, but if you're looking for a 5G one that can run apps like Whatsapp, you're probably out of luck.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best 5G flip phone for USA and Japan 2023/12/23 19:11
We are in Oz but I have the Samsung Fold and my missus the Samsung Flip, both are 5g and work really well including in Japan though neither have physical buttons save for a few on the edge.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best 5G flip phone for USA and Japan 2024/1/14 05:56
One option that you may consider is "Mode 1 Retro ‡U".
by JaydonG rate this post as useful

reply to this thread