Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Izu or Okinawa/Ishigaki in January? 2023/12/22 17:42
Hello everyone,
I am not sure about a 12-day segment of my trip in early January.

Currently, my plan is to travel from Tokyo to Hakone and then do a loop around the Izu Peninsula. From there to Kawaguchiko and then back to Tokyo before my flight home.
I understand that Izu is less impressive during this time of the year and also according to the forecast, it's going to be very cold in most of the areas there.

I was wondering if it's worth going to Okinawa instead with five days in Ishigaki and a week in Naha.
Is this a good time to visit the area? I've seen conflicting reports online. Some say that it's nice to travel and the offseason is great but some say there's a lot of rain and the water temperature is not nice for all the activities around the are.

My main constraint is that I don't have an international driver's license so I will need to rely on public transportation or guided tours. Is it still worth visiting Okinawa in this situation, or is it better for me to stick with Izu?

Thanks in advance!
by ofekinger  

Re: Izu or Okinawa/Ishigaki in January? 2023/12/23 03:47
My vote goes For okinawa
Okinawa is the Best.
Go For this destination.its public transport is efficient like other japanese cities.good Luck
by Masahero (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Izu or Okinawa/Ishigaki in January? 2023/12/23 05:52
January is one of the least favorable times to go to Okinawa - swimming is out of the question unless you wear a wet suit - it's not like Hawaii. If you went in March, it'd be a different story. There could be some cherry blossoms at the end of the month though. Okinawa World also has its impressive limestone cave, and what time of year it is doesn't matter at all. Ishigaki has an excellent one too, but otherwise there is not much there at that time - otherwise there's just mostly scenery and some kayaking. Five days will probably make you bored.
Of course, given the choice of going in January or not going at all, I'd choose going. But Izu has a lot there as well - the Jogasaki Coast gives some pretty nice scenery, and not so seasonally dependent.
If you want to see both conveniently, renting a car is pretty much a necessity.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Izu or Okinawa/Ishigaki in January? 2023/12/23 12:48
I don't see the point in going to a beach location in the middle of winter.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Izu or Okinawa/Ishigaki in January? 2023/12/23 13:18
You canft swim in January around Okinawa.

Just checked some travel info in Japanese, and just a few things are recommended in case you go there in January: whale watching, diving in Yonaguni, and cherry blossoms around Yaegatake (on Okinawa island). Overall, not much, is the impression I get.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Izu or Okinawa/Ishigaki in January? 2023/12/23 16:17
Based on that info I think sticking with Hakone/Izu/Kawaguchiko sounds like a better plan.

Thanks for the help!
by ofekinger rate this post as useful

Re: Izu or Okinawa/Ishigaki in January? 2023/12/24 16:22
Izu is your First priority
So u can consider izu dream pass,valid 3 days
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Izu or Okinawa/Ishigaki in January? 2023/12/26 02:35
I think it really depends on what you are looking for.

Izu is nice and probably takes around 4 days to go around with a good deal being via bus.

But the big elephant in the room is the cost. It costs quite a bit of money and a decent chunk of time to get to Okinawa. I've visited both during winter and both have their positives.

What do you want to get our of your trip?
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Izu or Okinawa/Ishigaki in January? 2023/12/26 04:10
When you stay in izu ,i strongly recommend
ITOEN HOTEL TOI
your stay included dinner nd breakfast buffet
by Jugantor (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread