Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

16 day itinerary - first time family of 4 2024/1/2 17:46
Hello everyone!

I am planning our first trip to Japan for our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 young teens) for 16 days in mid March 2024. We're looking to enjoy a little bit of everything that's great about Japan:) Below is our tentative itinerary:

Day 1 - arrive Narita
Day 2 to 4 - Tokyo
Day 5 - Tokyo to Osaka
Day 6 to 8 - Osaka, including 1 day at Universal Studio and 1 day trip to Nara
Day 9 - Osaka to Kyoto
Day 10 - Kyoto
Day 11 - Kyoto to Tokyo
Day 12 to 15 - Tokyo
Day 16 - return home via Narita

I am looking for some recommendations about the following:
- Would like to include 1 night stay in a ryokan along the way. Advice on some family friendly ryokans and which day in the itinerary?
- The amount of time in Osaka vs Kyoto.

Thanks!
by B.C. (guest)  

Re: 16 day itinerary - first time family of 4 2024/1/3 09:12
Amount of time in Osaka vs Kyoto, for me that’s 0 in Osaka. I have been on extended business trips including many weekends and so far I haven’t found interesting things to do in Osaka. So if I am now in Osaka (for business) I would spend my weekend elsewhere (Kyoto, Nara, Biwako…).

Can you check if you can get an open jaw flight getting into Tokyo and leaving from KIX?

Regarding Ryokan stay, maybe a night in Nara?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 16 day itinerary - first time family of 4 2024/1/3 20:38
Hi
As mentioned before
Kyoto instead of Osaka as the base . From there you can travel to Nara Uji Osaka and Kyoto itself that has a lot to offer. , Shrines ,gardens , shopping , train museum etc...
Also the days of travel between the big cities you have time to enjoy either Tokyo or Kyoto . Check closing time of the sites .
And check USJ a few years ago the fast pass was expensive and even sold out if i remember well
In 11 days we even went to Nagano area seeing the snow Monkeys . If youll find an open jaw flight you can in 16 days see more places and still it will be relaxed enough in my opinion
by Japan new trip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 16 day itinerary - first time family of 4 2024/1/4 05:46

I agree that Nara would be a great choice for a ryokan stay. Nara was always a hit with our kids when we travelled with them, I am liking it more than Kyoto.

Another place would be Kamakura (take a night from your Tokyo time, as it is close to Kamakura). I really like Enoshima which is a small island off Kamakura (access by bridge) with dragon themes, caves, a nice shrine, and Fuji views if you are lucky, also a bunch of hawks hang around there, like dozens of them. We have stayed a few times at Iwamotoro Honkan there which is very nice, the food is very heavy on fish.

Also Lalaca at Gora (Hakone) was a fantastic kid friendly ryokan, the Japanese/western rooms are massive.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 16 day itinerary - first time family of 4 2024/1/6 16:10
Thank you for all the ideas!
by B.C. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 16 day itinerary - first time family of 4 2024/1/8 03:27
Day 6 ,7 , 8 =3 day in Osaka, Nara
You can buy JR west Nara ken enjoymentfree pass 3 Day =3260 yen
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread