Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Which travel app to use in Japan 2024/1/20 12:15
Besides Google map, which travel app is the most comprehensive, reliable and easy to use in Japan?
by Rosemary (guest)  

Re: Which travel app to use in Japan 2024/1/21 03:32
Japan Travel by Navitime
Shows the route, destination, duration between stops, best exit to take, distance to walk, train number and color, platform, etc. It can also show a route that will be covered by a ticket/pass that you own e.g. JR pass/ Tokyo Wide Pass/ 24 hr Metro ticket.

Though it does prefer the nozomi shinkansen over other types.
by Xiao (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which travel app to use in Japan 2024/1/21 03:50
Agreed. I used Navitime during my most recent trip in November and it was very good.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Which travel app to use in Japan 2024/1/21 05:09
I find JR Cyber Station to be invaluable, although it is not a route planner per se. Its main purpose is for checking seat availability for trains that take reservations (i.e., shinkansen and limited express trains), but it is also useful for screening out "local" options if you want to find the fastest way to get from one (major) station to another, such as from Kyoto Station to Osaka Station (or even from Osaka Station to Shin-Osaka Station).
https://www.jr.cyberstation.ne.jp/index_en.html

If you have a rail pass that covers the faster trains, they are often the best way to go (especially if you have luggage), but the route planning apps are often bad tools for identifying them.

Some of the high-speed trains require reservations to board them, but many of them have unreserved cars, and you can just hop on if you have a rail pass that covers them. (Unfortunately, the regional JR passes do not cover the shinkansen between Kyoto and Osaka, but many of them do cover limited express trains between the two cities.) Or, you can sometimes easily get a seat reservation as little as a few minutes before departure time. (If you don't have the ability to do this online, you can sometimes find a ticket machine on the train platform, and these rarely have lines.)

A couple of things you need to keep in mind are (1) Cyber Station is out of commission from 11:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. Japan time, and (2) you have to identify which type of train you are interested in. It separates Kodama shinkansen trains from all other shinkansens (and sometimes you do in fact want a Kodama), and it puts all limited express trains into the category "Conventional Lines."
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which travel app to use in Japan 2024/1/21 18:12
Personally, I prefer Japan Transit Planner by Joruden, a company like Navitime. Reason being it has less ads lol If you want lots of tourists spots suggestions, Japan Travel by Navitime is good.
https://visitjapan-vegetarian.com/the-most-useful-apps-for-traveling-i...
by Lilz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which travel app to use in Japan 2024/1/21 19:22
Many thanks to everyone's information and advice. : )
by Rosemary (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which travel app to use in Japan 2024/1/22 00:28
I think there is an app named Japan Official Travel App by Japan National Tourism Organization that is very reliable.
by JaydonG rate this post as useful

Re: Which travel app to use in Japan 2024/1/22 13:15
The JNTO app was discontinued at the end of last September.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread