Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Is 165,000 yen good salary country side japan 2024/1/22 15:00
As a new Grad, I've been offered a monthly pay of 165,000 yen and overtime is 40,000 yen for 20hr and rent is free and there's charges for utilities, Is it good enough
by Sai (guest)  

Re: Is 165,000 yen good salary country side japan 2024/1/22 18:55
As a new Grad, I've been offered a monthly pay of 165,000 yen

No.

Is it good enough

That depends on what your definition for "enough" is. I also wonder if you're getting bonuses and paid holidays and benefit package.

https://www.e-sanro.net/research/research_jinji/chinginseido/shoninkyu...)

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/seisakunitsuite/bunya/koyou_roudou/roudouki...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Is 165,000 yen good salary country side japan 2024/1/22 19:07
if you work 6 months continuously there are 10 paid leaves and if not there are no paid leaves and there's bonus twice a year.
by Sai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 165,000 yen good salary country side japan 2024/1/23 09:59
if you work 6 months continuously there are 10 paid leaves
It is standard labor law..

As a new Grad, Japan or Overseas Uni ? .. what industry ?

My workplace (factory) in not city/not rural area(population 115K), average starting pay for high school grad is 160K and Uni grad 200K. 1st year no bonus, then twice a years, plus standard labor laws.

Considering you are fresh grad, 165K plus 40K(OT), with free rent (house?apartment?dorm?) is within average? Some company although say include example 40K for 20hrs OT, you still get 40K even though you don't do 20hrs OT.

Again, average starting salary for fresh grad. differ from industries/place.
https://tebiki-jp.com/in/work/salary/

Brief explanation of Labor Standard ..
https://jsite.mhlw.go.jp/tokyo-foreigner/english/seekers_1/spec/spec_1...

More details:
https://www.jil.go.jp/english/laws/index.html#ls
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 165,000 yen good salary country side japan 2024/1/23 10:01
it may be Okay in country side.
Tokyo area is the highest in salary. but, its ranking score for happiness by residents is not high (or in lower class).

if you only focus on apparent money, you should find a job in Tokyo area.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 165,000 yen good salary country side japan 2024/1/23 11:07
Make sure exactly what they mean by “40,000 yen for up to 20 hours overtime” - if it is that on top of your base salary, that sounds decent (standard). If they mean something like “overtime of up to 20 hours is considered included in your salary at 40,000,” that is not good. Just to be sure. I point this out because some companies seem to advertise their salary that way too.

And what are they going to do if it goes over 20 hours?

The package sounds like a standard one, just the accommodation may be a plus for you (but depends on what it is - dormitory? Apartment?).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Is 165,000 yen good salary country side japan 2024/1/23 11:44
They are remodelling a house into shared house its still in process, it's a manufacturing company, I am a foreign graduate student

Re: Is 165,000 yen good salary country side japan 2024/1/23 12:28
They are remodelling a house into shared house its still in process, it's a manufacturing company

That sounds like something along the lines of "kominka-sai-sei 古民家再生" and "mura-okoshi 村おこし" which are necessary in Japan where depopulation in the countryside is a serious problem. Perhaps it's a company closer to an NPO (which sounds personally familiar to me). If so, the low salary makes sense.

Maybe you should study the company's history and what they have accomplished so far. Depending on the results, you may want to accept the offer for the causes, or you may want to question the company's ability to accomplish what they want/need to do.

Also, if there is not much leisure to spend on (such as the area not having theaters and nightlife, and not having to buy fancy clothes just to meet people), and if a lot of your daily necessities including food is expected to come not from markets but from farming neighbors, then you can enjoy life and even learn a lot while getting by with that salary.

I hope you're in for a fun adventure.

Re: Is 165,000 yen good salary country side japan 2024/1/23 14:18
The job is in ehime perfecture, uchiko

Re: Is 165,000 yen good salary country side japan 2024/1/23 16:06
350usd / 450aud a week.

Might be industry minimum. But that don't make it good.

And another 350usd / 450aud if you do 20 hours overtime.

Looks like you'll need to do overtime every week.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 165,000 yen good salary country side japan 2024/1/23 21:47
The job is in ehime perfecture, uchiko

That makes even more sense.

Regardless, when I tell my friends in Ehime that I love old homes, they tell me to visit Uchiko. Just make sure you study the company.

I'm a Japanese resident of Yokohama who has no experience of your industry, if that helps.

Re: Is 165,000 yen good salary country side japan 2024/1/24 03:03
「They are remodelling a house into shared house its still in process, it's a manufacturing company, I am a foreign graduate student」

I believe the OP means that the "free rent" part of the job's compensation package is living with others in a house that's currently being remodeled into a shared house for multiple occupants, not that the job itself is doing such remodeling work.

Assuming that this means that utility costs per person are also low because they'll be split among all the occupants of the shared house, from the base salary of 165,000 yen that would probably mean somewhere around 155,000 yen after rent an utilities. There won't be a lot left over after paying for taxes, insurance, pension, and groceries, but there should be a little for some modest local entertainment. It's probably not enough for much in the way of luxurious leisure activities or travel, though.

The budget gets a little easier at 205,000 yen after the maximum overtime pay is added in. 205,000 yen left after paying rent (since rent is free for the OP) is actually better than a lot of right-after-college jobs in Japan.

Personally, my biggest concerns would be how often you're going to be able to earn overtime pay, and also whether or not you think you'll be physically/mentally OK doing that much overtime. I'd also probably want some more information on the house. How far is it from the workplace? How nice/comfortable is it? What sort of access to public transportation, necessary daily shopping, and leisure activities does it have? How many other people are you going to be sharing it with?

Summary: 165,000 yen after rent is doable, but it's a tight budget, and depending on your working/housing conditions may or may not be enough to make you happy.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread