Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Kanazawa after the earthquake 2024/1/27 12:12
After the earthquake in January, is it still safe, or worth, visiting Kanazawa now? I heard that a lot of areas visited by tourists are closed.

Advice from Kanazawa locals will be appreciated.
by Kathy (guest)  

Re: Kanazawa after the earthquake 2024/1/27 15:33
It is heart-breaking to read posts like yours!

Kanazawa did not suffer considerable damage, and most tourists spots reopened within 5 days. Almost nothing remains closed because of the earthquake (except the 21st Century Art Musem).

The local governor and tourism businesses are asking for people not to avoid the region. It adds to the economical damage.

However, if you personally are afraid about potential semi-stong aftershocks, it is understandable for you to avoid the region. I myself will visit next week.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa after the earthquake 2024/1/27 15:47
With all due respect, I asked because I'll be travelling with my 78-year-old mother and don't want to take take any unnecessary risk. In addition, insurance companies don't cover these incidents ...
by Kathy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa after the earthquake 2024/1/27 17:11
I was looking at accomodations nearer the epicentre and though many closed due to the destruction, some have since opened. Other are opening in February/March.
I would say that the region has recovered, but the concern you have is valid. It is a risk all visitors to the region, or any other part of Japan will have to face. It is seismic active region.
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa after the earthquake 2024/1/27 18:08
You do see the signs in Kanazawa telling you where to go if there is a tsunami (a guy running away from a big wave), that was the first place we'd seen them, I think my kids nearly fainted when they saw them.

no drama if you see them, it doesnt mean one is coming, just points you to higher ground.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa after the earthquake 2024/1/27 18:52
Feel free to update yourself at Kanazawa's official website.
https://www4-city-kanazawa-lg-jp.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_t...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa after the earthquake 2024/1/28 03:51
This article seems pertinent:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2024/01/1fbb84fa759e-feature-noto-l...

If it were me, I wouldnft hesitate to go to Kanazawa itself at this time, but I guess if youfre going soon it is still within the time frame when there is a statistically greater chance of aftershocks of a significant magnitude. I donft know how much greater, though. Earthquakes can happen anywhere in Japan.

It looks like it could be a while before you would want to go someplace like Wajima on the Noto Peninsula, but Kanazawa has plenty to see and do, and great food. And it sounds like you might be a lot more welcome there than you would be in Kyoto, where some people who live and work there are unhappy about overtourism (not that I have ever experienced overt hostility there, but I tend to avoid the places where the tourists go).
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa after the earthquake 2024/1/28 08:48
The area, which was really badly affected, is the area north of Nanao. And it will take months for essentials like drinking water to be fixed there. Wakura Onsen - on the border where damage was really bad - is likely to "reopen" for tourism over the next couple of months, and many livelihoods will be further negatively affected if tourists remain away, because the town relies on tourism to a degree. Further south, there is little reason to avoid the area even now unless you are afraid of earthquakes. To the opposite: the absence of tourists is causing further troubles.

Re: Kanazawa after the earthquake 2024/1/28 09:15
@Kim - I was just reading that thread. But for the OP, yes, earthquakes happen including here in Tokyo this morning (M4.8 at 8:59 a.m. centered in Tokyo Bay).
Everywhere has something be it earthquakes, tornadoes, wildfires or blizzards - life comes with risks even something like taking a car ride to the airport for your trip to Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa after the earthquake 2024/1/28 10:22
I for one am going to Kanazawa! I have six weeks in Japan from March to May, and Kanazawa is definitely on my list. I have booked three nights there, and for me personally at least I feel even more committed to stick to this plan - it's one way I can make a positive contribution to the recovery and economy in Kanazawa. It's an additional blow when tourists cancel or stay away. But that's a decision for each individual. I feel confident to go. I hope any closed attractions will reopen in time. Does anyone in this thread know when the 21st Century Museum of Art that is closed might reopen? And is Kenroku-en open again now?
by SMacNZ rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa after the earthquake 2024/1/28 10:37
From the museum web page - some facilities will re-open on February 6th.
https://www.kanazawa21.jp/data_list.php?g=61&d=429

I haven't visited the Art Museum for a few years, but it is on the list for one of my upcoming trips later this year.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa after the earthquake 2024/1/28 12:05
Kenrokuen reopened on January 5, but there are some closed sections:
https://www.siro-niwa.com/_wp/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/abd85aff909b3...

Also, some areas in the castle remain closed:
https://www.siro-niwa.com/_wp/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/f31f4511d9a89...

Unrelated to the earthquake, the D.T. Suzuki Museum is closed until until mid March 2024.

reply to this thread