Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Helicopter crash survivor - Kanji 2024/2/4 09:53
Hi guys,

I have read a similar post but as it was for significantly different circumstances I wanted to clarify before getting tattooed.

I have survived (still working on it) a horrendous helicopter crash.

Broke my neck in 3 places, broken back in 6 places,, 9 shattered ribs which punctured both lungs and had to hike for 90 mins through the desert (outback Australia) as we were covered in Aviation fuel.

It took 12 hrs, 2 helicopters, fixed wing ambulance (plane) & 2 Ambulances to airlift me to hospital where I wasnft expected to survive.

I would like to get a Japanese Kanji or phrase representing this. If anyone can please help with ensuring correct text, I would greatly appreciate it.

ThankYou 🙏🏼

CraigW1973
by CraigW1973 (guest)  

Re: Helicopter crash survivor - Kanji 2024/2/5 09:17
Unfortunately there isn't (to my knowledge) a cool kanji for helicopter as it is normally just katakana which isn't very attractive for a tattoo IMO (ƒwƒŠƒRƒvƒ^[).
There are several good kanji for both crash and survivor that would make for a good phase (takes a few kanji though).
Good luck with your recovery.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Helicopter crash survivor - Kanji 2024/2/5 10:00
ThankYou. Is the Kanji for Survivor appropriate?
by CraigW1973 rate this post as useful

Re: Helicopter crash survivor - Kanji 2024/2/5 13:46
Is the Kanji for Survivor appropriate?

Not really.

I trust you have little knowledge of Japanese language and culture, which is alright. Since you've been through such a huge experience that is worth respect, I strongly encourage you to tattoo something that you can understand yourself. As a Japanese translator, I'd hate to ruin it. Godspeed your recovery.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Helicopter crash survivor - Kanji 2024/2/5 15:47
No. Not as yet.

I was booked to go to Japan as i've always loved the culture.
Especially the respectful nature of the Japanese.

Sadly, that all got put on hold as the last two years have been a revolving door of hospitalisation and never ending medical appointments. Heading back into hospital next week for another stint.

I work hard at rehab everyday but sadly still have a few surgeries to go.

Thank-you for taking the time out to respond.
I greatly appreciate it.

My sincere apologies if you don't feel it fitting. 🙏🏼

Re: Helicopter crash survivor - Kanji 2024/2/5 17:35

I am sorry to hear what has happened to you, and am relieved to hear you are a survivor of such accident.

I used to comment on many posts here, stating my opinion against tattoos in a language you donft understand, but the message was never understood (or taken kindly) so i stopped doing so.
However, for this case I again insist - please do not get a tattoo in a language that you donft know/you donft have a good sense for.

Of course there is a Japanese word for gsurvivorh written in kanji - but it does not carry the same sense of strength and resilience as the word does in English. The word brings out the image of someone stranded, alone, hurt, injured and helpless. (And I donft think that is the impression you want to convey with what is written on your skin.)
So that lately in phrases like gcancer survivor,h the phonetic letters (katakana) is used to write gsurvivor,h in the sense of someone who lived through a tragedy or major difficulty but is looking up at the sky and looking positively at life.

Both words ghelicopterh and gsurvivorh would be in katakana. gCrashh can be in kanji. But stringing them up together does not look good, I am sorry to say.
Another thing - unless you get a Japanese tattoo by a tattooist who knows the language and knows the script style of it (knowing the strokes of each letter and knowing the cursive style so that they can connect the letters properly and beautifully), it will look duh.

If you gmusth ink your skin, I suggest you get it in English, or get a tattooist to design a picture/drawing about it, or at the least pick a word like gresilienceh and have that word written in kanji and tattooed on yourself - but if it must be in Japanese, please get it done by someone who really knows the Japanese language.

Best wishes for full recovery.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Helicopter crash survivor - Kanji 2024/2/5 18:49
CraigW1973,

Thank you for your feedback. In that case, why not get a tattoo in a language you fully understand, and another tattoo of a drawing or icon of something you hope to see in Japan? Perhaps that's what you need, and that's what could genuinely come from you as opposed to something an anonymous internet user like me would come up with.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Helicopter crash survivor - Kanji 2024/2/5 23:15
Just an idea (sorry it's not in kanji):
How about a figure of a Phoenix.

by nonn bay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Helicopter crash survivor - Kanji 2024/2/6 11:08
Thank-you.

With out going into to much detail.

The trip i was on (pre-accident) was intended to be about taking back my life after being in hospital for 7yrs due to a major surgical error which resulted in 9 more major surgeries, leaving me in a wheelchair for 2 yrs. I was told I would never walk again but fought hard to get back on my feet.

I'm far from healed and its a daily struggle as i'm now full of steel and screws from my knee's to hips and only able to walk short distances.

My friends bought me the helicopter flight to show me the world was still beautiful and worth fighting for.
Sadly it didn't pan out that way and the rest.. well, it's briefly described in the forum above.

I certainly never intended to get the words 'helicopter' or 'crash' as i don't want to be reminded of that.
Its something I am desperately trying to forget.

I thank-you for taking the time to reply and appreciate your honest feedback.

Wishing you good health. 🙏🏼

Re: Helicopter crash survivor - Kanji 2024/2/6 11:16
@nonn bay

Ironically, I actually had a Phoenix tattooed pre-helicopter crash to represent the years in hospital and making it out of the wheelchair. Maybe thats what helped me walk with a broken back, neck, ribs and collapsed lungs to escape the scorching heat & dry bush while covered in aviation fuel after the crash. 🤷🏻‍‰️

Re: Helicopter crash survivor - Kanji 2024/2/7 05:28
uMy sincere apologies if you don't feel it fitting.v
To add to what AK touched on with the cultural context of tattoos, and linguistic iconography in general in Japan, I have the impression that the using a word that, by itself, indicates a person as a show of one's values/personality is less common in Japan than in English-speaking countries.

For example, in the U.S. it's not uncommon to see tattoos, accessories, T-shirts, etc. that say things like "Angel," "Princess," "Survivor," "Winner." The intent is to say that the person embodies the characteristics associated with those: I am pure/regal/strong/successful.

On the other hand, it's rare to see such linguistic iconography in Japan. Aside from a general tendency towards modesty in Japanese, I think linguistically such person-designating terms are taken more at their basic, literal meaning when used as iconography. So, for example, if I see someone with a tattoo that says "Winner" in English, it feels like the person is saying "I am successful at many things in life, because I am a driven and determined person." But if I saw someone with a tattoo of "winner" written in Japanese, Ÿ—˜ŽÒ, my reaction would be "Oh, I guess this person won some sort of contest or sports game."

So along those same lines, if I saw someone with a tattoo of "survivor" written in Japanese, my immediate interpretation wouldn't be "this person has a lot of perseverance" so much as just "this person was in some kind of accident." In Japanese, my mind would go less to the struggle and strength found in the recovery, and more to just the fact that they didn't die from some dangerous situation they were in.

On the other hand, I have the impression that in Japanese linguistic iconography words that indicate the value concepts themselves are more common. For Japanese calligraphy, for example, you're more likely to find artists writing "victory" than "winner," or "perseverance" than "survivor."

So it's not so much that a tattoo of "survivor" written in Japanese would be inappropriate, but rather that it's probably not going to give the impression that you initially imagined it would to Japanese people. Basically, the people who see it will most likely fall into one of two groups:
1. People who can read Japanese, understand what the tattoo says, and think it's a strange choice.
2. People who can't read Japanese, will need you to explain to them what the tattoo says, and even after the explanation, will probably interpret it differently than people who actually can read Japanese would.

Ultimately, it's your body, and you're free to do whatever you like in terms of tattoos - no one in Japan is going to be offended or confront you about it, even if they think it looks strange. If your desire to get the tattoo in Japanese specifically is mainly because you think the language looks cool, that's ultimately a personal decision, but if Japanese cultural significance is also a part of why you want the tattoo, you might want to give it some more thought before going through with it.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Helicopter crash survivor - Kanji 2024/2/9 10:27
Thank-you to everyone who contributed.

I understand that my 'intention' does not marry up with the word 'survivor' when translated.

Thank you sharing your knowledge and insight. 🙏🏼

reply to this thread