Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Sept 2024, 4 week itinerary 2024/2/10 08:45
We have flights booked flying into Fukuoka 3 Sept 2024 and out of Tokyo 7 Oct 2024. Bit concerned as Typhoon season! However this time was available. We are mid 60's used to travelling in hot weather in SE Asia. Will spend a few days + Tokyo before attending Moto GP at Motegi (staying at Utsunomiya) 5-7 Oct before leaving. Visited Japan July 2018 for 3 weeks with rail pass- went to Tokyo (missed Kamakura Nikko, Hakone) & Nagoya, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Mt Koya, Hiroshima (+Miyajima), Nagasaki, Himeji (pitstop) back through Tokyo to Narita to fly out. Always enjoy revisits so considering where as well as keen to see new places/sights. We love enjoying the landscapes, nature, history & food. Thought Fukuoka a good starting point. After time in Kyushu, definitely Nara as missed before (did like Kyoto- spent 5N)- otherwise very open to suggestions. JR passes no longer worthwhile so slightly struggling with creating itinerary that will work transport wise, don't want hire car, like trains, flying fine as cheap internal. May have time to add looking around Nagano area or other? As not been in that area. We like not rushing, hence the reasonable time frame of trip. I have looked at various ideas for itinerary however thinking some wisdom from forum may help. I'm also going to see if the region itinerary suggestions on japan-guide may fit together to create what we need. If anyone could throw some suggestions I would be grateful - & if I should have seen something already posted I missed please advise. If should have done more before asking, I apologise.
by Cocomax  

Re: Sept 2024, 4 week itinerary 2024/2/10 17:49
Hi, that time of year I'd head for elevations, so from Nara I would look to spend a few nights at Kiso Valley (Kiso Fukushima is a great base for some legs of the Nakasendo way) then on to Matsumoto, perhaps Kamikochi and then Takayama before getting on to Kanazawa to connect up with the Shinkansen line, then Nagano (if you want, I've never been as I dont want to run into a million fellow Aussies), maybe Bessho Onsen which is nearby, then I would spend a few nights chilling at Karuizawa before Tokyo, as Karuizawa is only an hour away by shinkansen.

None of those trips would take more than a few hours, most by train except a few bus (Matsumoto to Kamikochi, Kamikochi to Takayama).

And given these are all my favorite places, I'll give accom tips as well. Nara - Nara Hotel (original wing) or a ryokan at Wakakusayama (Kotonoyado Musashino was brilliant), Kiso Fukushima - Arai ryokan, Kamikochi - Onsen Hotel, Takayama - we like Hotel Associa, an onsen hotel there, Karuizawa - Tsuruya ryokan or Le Grande Kyu.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sept 2024, 4 week itinerary 2024/2/10 18:03
If you have four weeks, you can go region by region - covering places you’ve missed or you want to visit again, maybe having a hub in each of the regions so that you don’t have to changing hotels constantly.

Just one thing about the last part - I thought flying out on the 7th after visiting Motegi on 5 - 7 would be tight, but now checking the schedule GP seems to be 4 - 6 of October; with that, you can travel down to Tokyo (or at least just to Utsunomiya) for the night of 6th so that you will have plenty of time to get to the airport on the 7th.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Sept 2024, 4 week itinerary 2024/2/10 20:00
Since you will travel in September which is still hot and humid, I would recommend mountainous area and northern area like Hokkaido. Driving is not recommended for big cities, but you can drive quite easily in these places. One plus point is you are from Australia (we drive in the same side). Do you really want to avoid driving?
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Sept 2024, 4 week itinerary 2024/2/10 22:09
I think it is short-sighted to conclude that JR passes are no longer worthwhile. Since you will be starting your trip in western Japan, you could make very good use of one or more of the many regional passes that still offer outstanding value if used strategically. The nationwide JR pass has become “a waste of money” for most people, but there are so many brilliant itineraries that you could craft that make excellent use of regional passes, which are still quite appealingly priced. You will likely end up buying a point-to-point ticket (rail or air) to get you from Kansai (or somewhere else in western Japan) to Tokyo, but it seems a pity to rule out rail passes altogether when they offer so much value for Kyushu, all of western Japan, and even parts or all of Shikoku. The regional passes for eastern Japan (including Nagano) unfortunately had a steep increase at the same time as the nationwide pass, but at least for now the western Japan rail passes are still a bargain, and there are so many of them!

If you’re looking for ideas of where to go, why not look at some of the passes first and imagine what you could do with them, rather than picking your destinations first and then trying to find the perfect pass to fit (an approach that almost never works)? The possibilities are endless. And it’s not like you have to be constantly riding trains. In some cases, a single well-conceived day trip will make some of those passes pay off.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sept 2024, 4 week itinerary 2024/2/10 22:18
Correction: I meant to say “…Kyushu, all of western Honshu, and parts or all of Shikoku.” Anyway, especially if you don’t want to drive (and you most certainly don’t have to), it seems a pity to rule out passes altogether.

In case you missed it, here is Japan Guide’s rail pass overview page, but it’s just a starting point. You really need to look at the details of some of the individual passes:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html

Re: Sept 2024, 4 week itinerary 2024/2/10 22:25
Thank you all so very much. I feel I can make some progress with so many kind suggestions. Re train passes, I had only ruled out the one that you need to purchase prior to arriving in Japan. I believe other regional rail passes can be purchased within Japan & note the Japan-guide has current info- so that is great advice. Will look at how available regional passes may guide some itinerary choices and see what I can create- also definitely considering my fellow Aussie Pious's suggestions. Love this input- thank heavens for forums.
by Cocomax rate this post as useful

Re: Sept 2024, 4 week itinerary 2024/2/10 22:42
Be sure to check the current purchase details for any given pass you are considering. There have been some changes recently, and some passes that you used to be able to purchase at a JR ticket window or travel service center now have to be bought online or through an agent. In some cases, your ability to make reservations online (a huge benefit) will depend on how you purchased the pass.

Re: Sept 2024, 4 week itinerary 2024/2/10 22:57
One more thing, and then I’ll shut up…

It seems that some of the regional passes have rather limited options for where you can pick up the actual pass, which can make them inconvenient or impractical. It’s another angle you have to consider when planning an itinerary.

Re: Sept 2024, 4 week itinerary 2024/2/11 08:17
I very much appreciate all input, frankly never too much, so the more info the better. I do like to be well informed and well organised so I can enjoy the trip. Sorting the first trip was not a problem as followed a japan-guide itinerary option with some tweaks & we had the JR national passes. While months away want to have a workable travel plan sorted & get to the fun of accommodation planning & activities.

Re: Sept 2024, 4 week itinerary 2024/2/11 08:38
As of October 1st last year. Most JR company regional passes cannot be purchased inside Japan. Do your homework to make sure you ain't missing out.

Since you are travelling one way. I.d doubt most would be suitable anyways.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sept 2024, 4 week itinerary 2024/2/11 13:59
That's been my Sunday, I'm getting all over it, have faith. Definitely suitable regional options with the usual rules, so all good and yes purchase prior to travel to Japan as per national pass. So have to wait a while. Thanks for your insight.

reply to this thread